Discuss What are your thoughts.... in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mickys86

Hi guys. Was looking for some advice. I currently work for an electrical company for 5 years now and get paid £11ph. I know this isn't a lot for the work that I do (mainly commercial work) but my boss seems to be upping my wages gradually as we go. He's give me a company van and I work on my own 99% of the time.

The thing is, one of his clients have told me that due to the amount of electrical work that they have, they want to employ a full time electrician to go and work for their company. They have given me first refusal on the job and are willing to pay £130 a day - roughly £15.30 an hour. I told my boss I got offered a job and he said there's no way he can pay anywhere near that which is his prerogative. ( I know we are really busy - have been for a long time and I also know he charges £40ph for my services)

My question is. If I was to take the company up on the offer. What work could I legally undertake without being a member of a scheme? Obviously nothing is notifiable under part p. would I be able to complete all types of work without breaking any regulations?

All opinions will be welcomed

Many thanks.
Michael

is this job offer cards in or self-employed.

Tell your greedy boss to shove his job up his anus! I'm assuming you're a fully qualified NVQ3 and 2391 spark? £11ph is chump change fella!

As an example, I pay my two subby electricians £16ph + commission. Double time for out of hours.

Edit: Re; your question...

Commercial work isn't covered by Part P, and if the company you work for is taking you on the cards, any domestic work will be covered by them. Crack on fella :)

as above. your current employer is a scrooge.

Yeah tell him to shove his job where the monkey keeps it's nuts tight fisted wazock

If your boss really respects you and your skills he will match the rate you've been offered. Remember he's making £29 per hour off you while he'she's sitting on his arse

As most have said above, time to move on. Your bosses expenses involved in employing you will only be a few pounds an hour more than he is paying you. He can easily afford to give you a payrise.
Go somewhere you are appreciated. The wages offered in this new job hint at a respect your current boss does not have for you.

Must be decent work you're doing, if he's charging £40ph. Just think, your new employer will be saving £25 an hour, well worth it from his point of view.
Is there guaranteed to be plenty of work in the future? If so, it's a no brainer.

It's all been said really by the others, go for it, your current boss as no excuses for paying such a meagre wage. To make 29.00pr hr on you isn't my issue but to say he can't match the other offer is Rubbish.
I have always said the boss is entitled to make a good mark up on his staff due to the fact he gets all the grief, plus he is financing everything, but at the same time he needs to show his staff that he respects and appreciates them.
Tell him to go Sh@t in his hands and clap

I think everyone has all agreed that you should jump ship.
No you don't need to be a scheme member especially as your cards in. You can still sign work off and issue certs etc and your not breaking any regs along as you've a good reason for any departures from bs7671

and fund the van.he's still making around 15-20 quid/hour out of OP though.

and fund the van.he's still making around 15-20 quid/hour out of OP though.
Which he probably needs to do to make it worth while! I doubt its more than £15 which is probably the right mark on such activities.

Businesses, large and small have overheads, they have employees who have costs associated.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Sorry for lack of contribution it's my birthday today and been out having a BBQ

I've took on board everything everyone has said. I think the thing that hurts the most is he has a guy who's self employed who has been told he needs to go on the cards. He's slower than what I am albeit a little bit more experienced. But he's offered him £120 a day. Plus a van. Compared to my £90 it's a bit of a difference.

I'm going to have a chat with the new company Wednesday but I can only really see one outcome.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Sorry for lack of contribution it's my birthday today and been out having a BBQ 

I've took on board everything everyone has said. I think the thing that hurts the most is he has a guy who's self employed who has been told he needs to go on the cards. He's slower than what I am albeit a little bit more experienced. But he's offered him £120 a day. Plus a van. Compared to my £90 it's a bit of a difference.

I'm going to have a chat with the new company Wednesday but I can only really see one outcome.

One of the positive outcomes for the recovering economy.

Looks like you will be doing the same thing on Wednesday!

Reply to What are your thoughts.... in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net