Who Are You?

Discuss Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HandySparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This poll is for all Forum members. Please read the poll carefully and then choose the best description in the context of your membership of the forum. I can't include all options, so you might like to go into more detail by posting in the thread.

The poll is confidential (forum names are not visible).

For the purposes of the poll:
'Apprenticeship' means a pre-planned formal arrangement for multiple years of structured classroom and on-the-job training.
'Short Course' means a concentrated course of less than 6 weeks of mostly classroom based learning. (Just a C&G 2381 / 2382 'regs' course doesn't count.)
'Electrician' means anyone doing hands-on installation, maintenance, repair or testing of electrical systems (normally for payment) and includes 'domestic installer'.

That's fine but then DON'T call yourself an Engineer, because at the end of the day, officially you're NOT!!
So what route would you take to obtain MIET registration if you did want to register??

As far as i'm concerned only professionally licensed designations (eg...I Eng /C Eng) within the IET should be calling themselves Engineers. They are the guy's putting their name and their professional licence and livelihood on the proverbial line....

I would apply via the IET which requires proof of your qualifications and your experience.

There are many routes for obtaining registration with the IET.
Some of them would allow people with no engineering or electrical background what so ever to be registered.

I may be wrong here so apologies if i am but as far as I'm aware, the only way to register with the IET is directly through them. As I've said above, they require proof of qualifications, experience, references etc before they will entertain an application.
If there is companies out there though where you can register with no experience or qualifications, i think thats wrong. You're basically just buying a title then!

Providing proof of qualifications, is one of the available options for registering with the IET.
There are other options which do not involve providing proof of qualifications.
For instance holding or having held the rank of Warrent Officer in the armed forces is, or was an option.

Nope it still allows for Commissioned Officers or Warrant Officers in the armed forces.

We (Weapon Engineers) had access to register as IEng as Chief Petty Officers(Staff sergeant equivalent) in the RN. Can't remember exactly but if I remember rightly they required a certain amount of years experience, you had to get your boss to recommend you and they reserved the right to interview you, although I never heard of anyone who applied actually getting interviewed.

I decided that as I wouldn't be using the letters after my name, the yearly fee wasn't worth it.

Commissioned officers could register as CEng/IEng dependent on quals/experience and Petty Officers as Engineering Technicians off the top of my head.

Thank you.

Given the thread title I thought it appropriate - sort of.

Also gives a little bit of insight into what goes on in a studio for them wot might like t' knaa ye knaa.
Cheers,bud,i was considering a lengthy rant RE; Quals debate....and you have enjoyably diverted my attention...Two of the first records i bought,Odds and Sods,Who by Numbers...have all the CD's in me truck...CLASS band,and Kieth Moon still holds title of "Best Hotel Entertainer" :icon12:

We (Weapon Engineers) had access to register as IEng as Chief Petty Officers(Staff sergeant equivalent) in the RN. Can't remember exactly but if I remember rightly they required a certain amount of years experience, you had to get your boss to recommend you and they reserved the right to interview you, although I never heard of anyone who applied actually getting interviewed.

I decided that as I wouldn't be using the letters after my name, the yearly fee wasn't worth it.

Commissioned officers could register as CEng/IEng dependent on quals/experience and Petty Officers as Engineering Technicians off the top of my head.

You'd still need suitable electrical/electronic qualifications gained during your time in the Armed Forces. You wouldn't get in without any qualifications, and certainly not as a Registered CEng/IEng....

You'd still need suitable electrical/electronic qualifications gained during your time in the Armed Forces. You wouldn't get in without any qualifications, and certainly not as a Registered CEng/IEng....

We did obtain qualifications. I think my post referenced quals.

Edit.. My post, although relying on memory is correct as far as I remember. I'm only talking a couple of years ago when I was in the process of leaving so I think its reasonably correct. I decided not to register as IEng as I had no intention of ever using the registration and therefore didn't see the point of a yearly fee merely for letters after my name.

I Still don't think I'm any less of an engineer for not registering.

Mind you if I'd completed an NVQ3 in electrical installation, there are some on here who see it as the equivalent of a medical degree.

Last edited:
From experience of some of the consultants I have worked with, the letters after the name are meaningless (CIBSE members in my experience). So long as you have a degree and turn up to the regional meetings and buy the right people a drink then you're in and graded. It's still very much an old boys club from my experience. I can't say what the IET are like, maybe they are better?

It's odd that you have to be a member of a professional organisation to call yourself an engineer on here, yet the opposite is said of electricians who join a competent persons scheme.

Reply to Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock