Discuss Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lets see the names to the poll.?

That would be moving the goal posts and unreasonable to do so now.

Personally I can’t see the point of the poll, what is it going to prove?

As for me:
I started in the machine shop and then went in to electrical/electronics. I stuck to the electrical side until I became shift maintenance engineer when I had to take on the other disciplines required to keep a large chemical works running.
Later at the foundry I went in to R&D (ruin and destroy) where I became office bound concentrating on PLC programming. This was followed by going back to being shift engineer where I also took on the machine shop. And finally engineering planning stuck in an office again.

I’m not quite sure where I fit in.

That would be moving the goal posts and unreasonable to do so now.

Personally I can’t see the point of the poll, what is it going to prove?

As for me:
I started in the machine shop and then went in to electrical/electronics. I stuck to the electrical side until I became shift maintenance engineer when I had to take on the other disciplines required to keep a large chemical works running.
Later at the foundry I went in to R&D (ruin and destroy) where I became office bound concentrating on PLC programming. This was followed by going back to being shift engineer where I also took on the machine shop. And finally engineering planning stuck in an office again.

I’m not quite sure where I fit in.

Aye Cock, you've had an interesting career which I'm quite envious of! :)

In the highly unlikely probability I get extraordinarly drunk tonight, I might paste my CV up, give you all a good laugh!!!

That shouldn’t take long then, I’ll leave it to you to work out what I’m on about.

Remember Archy, drink sensibly. Have a good night and a good new year.

Im a time served electrician gone self employed. This forum is a great help, and though I've been registered a few years haven't really used it to its full advantage. Im going to use this forum more and hopefully more help and advice will continue in time to come. Happy new year all.

Aye Cock, you've had an interesting career which I'm quite envious of! :)

I missed out becoming shift production manager in the food industry with a department of 40+ muppets to keep under control.
I started there as an engineering technician. A job like that you learn the process so you understand it and then know how to fix it.

More fool me for doing so!

One of the managers had a nervous breakdown so his deputy had to take over. Have a guess who his deputy was, I hated every bloody minute of it!
To add to the misery the company insisted I did an NVQ4 in management at DeMontford.
I abandoned ship after a year or so when my then partner pointed out I was going as GaGa as my ex-boss.
Don’t get me wrong, I was coining it in but at what price to me and my partner?

Going in to the hell hole that is a foundry automated casting shop was like a stroll in the park.

Tony, in a recent thread you had minions working for you. Now they are muppets.

What the **** kind of boss were you!! Have some respect for people, you are not the one sane voice in the room.

That shouldn’t take long then, I’ll leave it to you to work out what I’m on about.

Remember Archy, drink sensibly. Have a good night and a good new year.

I've been trawling my mind every which way possible for the last hour or so, but I can't find any meaning or reference to the word 'sensibly'.

As to the your initial sentence....WHOOOOSH, you've beaten me there Chief!!!

What the **** kind of boss were you!! Have some respect for people, you are not the one sane voice in the room.

I was a boss that got things done no matter what. I wasn’t paid to be nice, I was paid to keep product going out of the door.

I have respect for people that help me in my goal. They’ll always get “please and thank you” for their effort.
I’ve absolutely no respect for the ones that aren’t focused on their allotted task and cause me grief. Quite plain and simply, they get the order of the boot. (Not that easy with the employment laws.)

Production pays the wage bill for all of us. If I didn’t get my bonus, no one else did. Keeping the team in good order ensured they got better paid than the other shifts.

You don’t know me or what I’m like. It would be interesting to know your experience of management so we can make a comparison.

And equally the same could be said about employers.

I'd get an instant lifetime ban if I'd describe some of the $*£$(^ *%(($^ I've worked for on here.

Not that it matters,or anyone cares,I am an Engineer.
Note that i use a capital letter...I am immensely proud of that,and the journey made to deserve the title. It is the occupation title,in every vetting,CRB,insurance and report i have filled in,in the last 30 years.
But,if pushed,on an anonymous,yet thoroughly enjoyable forum,i will put "Inventor" and stand by it...:icon12:

If you or the others fulfil the recognised criteria of being an Engineer, then fine, but just calling yourself/or giving yourself the title of Engineer without the appropriate qualifications to back the title, takes away all credibility of the title. Just about anyone can call themselves an Engineer in the UK, .....NOT so, (well not officially anyway) in most of the rest of the westernised world!! Many of which you will need to be Registered as an Engineer to use the title....

If you or the others fulfil the recognised criteria of being an Engineer, then fine, but just calling yourself/or giving yourself the title of Engineer without the appropriate qualifications to back the title, takes away all credibility of the title. Just about anyone can call themselves an Engineer in the UK, .....NOT so, (well not officially anyway) in most of the rest of the westernised world!! Many of which you will need to be Registered as an Engineer to use the title....

Personally, I could have registered as Ieng but chose not to bother. Does not registering make me any less of an engineer. In my opinion not so. But, it doesn't really matter anyway.

You are correct in that the title is overused. Even plumbers like to term themselves Central Heating Engineers.

I was a boss that got things done no matter what. I wasn’t paid to be nice, I was paid to keep product going out of the door.

I have respect for people that help me in my goal. They’ll always get “please and thank you” for their effort.
I’ve absolutely no respect for the ones that aren’t focused on their allotted task and cause me grief. Quite plain and simply, they get the order of the boot. (Not that easy with the employment laws.)

Production pays the wage bill for all of us. If I didn’t get my bonus, no one else did. Keeping the team in good order ensured they got better paid than the other shifts.

You don’t know me or what I’m like. It would be interesting to know your experience of management so we can make a comparison.

I was the type of manager who in closed company might have occasionally have used that type of language. But it would be reserved for those that deserved it. I certainly wouldn't have generalised and tarnished everyone with the same brush in public like you do.

You are correct that I don't know you. But I do know your internet persona. And that I do not like.

Personally, I could have registered as Ieng but chose not to bother. Does not registering make me any less of an engineer. In my opinion not so. But, it doesn't really matter anyway.

You are correct in that the title is overused. Even plumbers like to term themselves Central Heating Engineers.

There are many positions out there where you would need to be an Incorporated Engineer (I Eng) or even a Chartered Engineer (C Eng), or you just wouldn't be considered suitable to fill that position. So yes, at least in my opinion it does matter. But then i suppose it depends on how far personally you want to go in this industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many positions out there where you would need to be an Incorporated Engineer (MIET) or even a Chartered Engineer (C Eng), or you just wouldn't be considered suitable to fill that position. So yes, at least in my opinion it does matter. But then i suppose it depends on how far personally you want to go in this industry.

You're correct there but thats all dependant on if you're looking to move into a role whereby you need some pretty letters after your name. If you're happy in the role you're in and not looking to progress to a new job, then I'm with Andyelectric on this. Im sure theres lots out there that could register to various places but why bother? It doesn't make you any more of an engineer.
I could of registered for MIET but didn't bother in the end as its £140 a year i don't really need to spend at the moment. If i decide to move on to another job, i may consider it depending on what I'm going for but it won't make me any less or more of an engineer.

You're correct there but thats all dependant on if you're looking to move into a role whereby you need some pretty letters after your name. If you're happy in the role you're in and not looking to progress to a new job, then I'm with Andyelectric on this. Im sure theres lots out there that could register to various places but why bother? It doesn't make you any more of an engineer.
I could of registered for MIET but didn't bother in the end as its £140 a year i don't really need to spend at the moment. If i decide to move on to another job, i may consider it depending on what I'm going for but it won't make me any less or more of an engineer.

That's fine but then DON'T call yourself an Engineer, because at the end of the day, officially you're NOT!!
So what route would you take to obtain MIET registration if you did want to register??

As far as i'm concerned only professionally licensed designations (eg...I Eng /C Eng) within the IET should be calling themselves Engineers. They are the guy's putting their name and their professional licence and livelihood on the proverbial line....

Reply to Who Are You? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net