Discuss Yet another 2391 thread... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dooby

Now look, this is my first ever post, be nice if all this has been asked before but you can never have too many 2391 threads, eh? :eek:/

Firstly - it seems from some posts that the 2391 exam is offered just a few times a year? I'm looking to do it asap, ie within the next few months when I've learnt the hell out of GN3.

Also, I've seen people here recommend colleges rather than private courses. Now I'm looking for cheap as I can (near London, currently unemployed) and want a pass as soon as I can to minimise resits. Frankly I'd go with whoever's likely to hothouse me and crowbar me through. Especially the practical - written exams I'm usually fine on, it's practical exams I panic and fall to bits on (fully expect to megger myself through stress). Thoughts or recommendations?

I have my 2392 and a bit of testing experience. The testers I've worked with are pushing this to maximise my employability and I think they're right.
Having said that, as a female sparks I find everyone's so lovely and encouraging to me (which is great) but I'm always a bit worried the confidence is misplaced coz they want to be nice to the new girl :bow:

Hi Dooby &Welcome,

Sadly, 2391 is no more, just the exams left for people who've done the course.
It now comes in two parts, 2394, Initial Verification etc, & 2395 for Installation Condition Reporting.
You can possibly get away with just 2395, but don't quote me on that!

Ooh thanks for that! I'd seen that mentioned on a thread before but some people seemed unclear whether 2394/2395 had replaced the 2391 or were before it. I shall choose to take your answer as definitive..

Hello and welcome Dooby.

Please do not rush into the 2391 aka 2394/5, it is harder than just passing a sit down exam and a practical. IMHO there is no such thing as a "crow bar" into this qual, trust me I know. I treid a 4 day course (only thing avaiable at the time) and failed! I know what I'm doing and others on this forum that I've worked with will say the same but at the end of the day I still dont have a 2391 qual (get your violins out). I just could'nt pass that test due to nearves so dont let that get the better of you like it did me at the time.

Good luck, go to a college to learn how to pass the C&G exam (although you've been doing testing already) and dont choke up like I did.

ps. if anyone fancies having a go at me and my previous posts regarding testing, Why can I answer other peoples I&T questions? Because I know what I'm doing and it's taken time to be able to say that.

Cheers all, yeah I'm finding much more info about it all now I know to search on 2394/5. Doh! It's the simple things that confuse me.

the local college route is the best option. also, if you are on jobseekers, you might be able to get them to pay for the course. ​just explain to them that you have a far better chance of gaining employment with the qualification.

I am under no illusions this will happen - ATOS have stopped my benefits since March because they lost a form and I've had had barely anything I'm entitled to. Apparently if I were under 25 I may have a chance of that, but I have no chance of being under 25! Nice idea though.

Loser! :shocked::smile:

Serious though, have you seen if you can still do the 2391 exam & practical, that's if you're bothered about it of course.
You'd probably walk it now.

Practical, not a problem.

Since failing the written exam I've been given a few past papers (the ones after my exam) and I've done very well off them whilst in the comfort of my own home, in an exam is different.

I've worked with great electricians over the years, some with a lot less quals than me but still was able to hold there own on any matter. Respect to those that can gain employment without current quals.

Archey it does not matter if i have the 91 or not. I can stand up in a court of law with my head held high and state that everything i do is within the regs and best practice and I will challenge anyone to veiw my work.

Ok Ill get the 2394 and the 2395 next year. To close to xmas atm.

It's like a Badge of Honour though!

I agee, it is. And it should be respected throughout the industry.

People like me without the 91 but have 3 different level 3 quals, the question is:-

Am I an electrician?

The answer is YES and the answer for all of the people on this forum that feel held down by qualifications.

If you are one of those people that are trying to better themselves through education, dont give up or get knocked back by those that think they know better. You just keep on pushing yourself to become the best electrician that you can become and then people can sleep at night knowing that we are one of the best tradesmen in the country.

Ok that was a bit of a rant but Dooby, stick with this forum to learn about I&T and not how just pass an exam.

Oh I absolutely am, it's been very useful coming on here.
Been doing unpaid work experience for months with loads of blokes who don't have the qualifications but have the experience, but looking like I'll need the 2391/whatever for actual paid work urgently as I'm new at this - so don't have the qualifications OR the experience, aarrghh!

@ Dooby. Stick around on this forum, you will learn loads from people like me and poeple a lot better than me that examine the exam's. Your only just starting you real ducation.

Reply to Yet another 2391 thread... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net