Discuss your expert advice required in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mcdonough1878

I have just been given an opportunity (which will cost a fair few quid) to take a course which in principle looks great but i need to know if it will cover enough to get mework as an electrician either on my own or regular work. The qualifications which I will come out with are:

Part P defined scope
City and Guilds - 2377
City and Guilds - 2330 (units 1-4)
City and Guilds - 2382 - 17th edition IEE wiring regs
Full scope part P theory.

Its with Train 4 trade Skills. and the course is called Domestic Electrical Installer.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I understand what your saying about the hands on experience - but they do this virtual reality type training but to pass the exam you have to go and do the exam somewhere in leeds? Only hands on expereince I have is minimal as a jobber and property maintenance.:confused:

dont want to get stuck with a crap qualification which no one recognises and a bloody big bill!

Last edited by a moderator:
Learning on the job is IMO the best way to become a sparks, my son has just passed his finals but without his training on the job over the last 3 years he would not be safe to be let loose.
Thats not to discourage you as you will need the qualifications but .....well you know what i am saying

Please bear in mind that no matter how many qualifications you have, these in themselves are not enough to get you work. In the present climate there are possibly thousands of similarly qualified people out there who have spent a fortune on such courses and still can't get a job without practical experience and are even offering to work for free just to get the experience, and still not getting work.
No one will tell you not to get qualifications but in themselves they are not a gateway to work.
Much better to try and get a job in a maintenence department of a factory with an electrical element where the employer might sponser your courses and this way it would give you a much wider field of experience to seek further employment. An apprenticeship is the best way but these are almost impossible to find. Mores the pity.

Hello mate I am in the same boat as you I am not sure who to go with I didn't like the look of train 4 trade skills I think there are better out there. I think but could be wrong as have not phoned or anything but I think there is a lack of hands on practical and its more home based learning. I think every minute of hands on time with somebody who knows what they are doing is very important not just to pass the exams but for the chance to pick up as much as possible.

I narrowed my search down to tradeskills4u and able skills. Hope this helps but also let me know what you think as I am also in the same position.

Reply to your expert advice required in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net