Currently reading:
You're all cowboys! :D

Discuss You're all cowboys! :D in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

TO PAUL.M UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES UNDER THAN FOR SPECIFIC ITEMS OF CURRENT USING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU NOT NEED TO PROTECT THE CIRCUIT VIA 30mA RCD THEN UNDER THE 17TH FOUND THAT INTERESTING

A and I'd explain why it needs to be done and add that he will probably get diy dave in who will cost him less but will provide a job not in accordance with regs.
I've lost a lot of work to diy dave over the years and not lost a moments sleep over it, probably the same as most of us

TO PAUL.M UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES UNDER THAN FOR SPECIFIC ITEMS OF CURRENT USING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU NOT NEED TO PROTECT THE CIRCUIT VIA 30mA RCD THEN UNDER THE 17TH FOUND THAT INTERESTING
There's no requirement to provide RCD protection to a circuit, unless it is of a special location.
There's a requirement to provide RCD protection to socket-outlets that are intended for general use, by ordinary persons.

Could just screw a socket to the wall for £40 and don't wire it. Didn't say they wanted to use it ;) might even put a cert on it for another cheeky fiver, lol

Think you have to just watch the eyes of the client, as soon as they glaze over when your explaining just back up to the door and save their time and yours.

I love it....

Titled:
'A socket on the wall'

Explanation:
This socket is an artistic statement and not to be used for anything associated with electrical energy

An extention of a circuit were the cable is surface mounted, deeper than 50mm or mechanical protected.

The new socket (in this case) does not have to be rcd protected under the regs (i don't make them, I just follow them). So yes, any cowboy can throw in an extra skt in trunking without rcd! Needs to have a MWC though. Doesn't it make you sick?

BY THE WAY, STOP SHOUTING AT ME. I HEARD YOU THE FIRST TIME!

I would go with A not worth the potential later hassle, other people want it done right (according to the regs) why spend my time on doing it wrong?
If you have said what is required and they later decide Bob from the pub can do it that is their choice, not mine.

I like the idea of cowboys doing the services on a property that I'm about to purchase......
It gives me great bargaining powers:

P: Ah yes do you have certificates for all the services?

V: No but all the services have been done by reputable local trades-persons

P: Oh really ?

P: Do you have the names and addresses of these trades-persons ?

V: No, I'm afraid not

P: Ok, Lets start with a cash price of £50k below your asking price

V: That's too low for all this work that has been done

P: Well, no audit trail no asking price !

V: So, perhaps we can bargain?

P: Yes, lets bargain, now would you mind if my surveyor came round and made a survey?

V: No if that would help my asking price. I maybe able to offer you some PPI as a tempter

P: **** *** :bucktooth:..... I think i'll take a rain check on that one !

Option A, you cant even think about wether the socket should have RCD protection or not cos the fact is if there is no bonding in place then according to the regs you must inform the customer that no work can take place on the installation until this has been rectified, so let cowboy dave do it and then if for some reason there is a fault on that socket and the customer is touching an extraneous conductive part whilst trying to faff about with it gets a huge belt cos no bonding in place then cowboy dave is responsible NOT YOU

An extention of a circuit were the cable is surface mounted, deeper than 50mm or mechanical protected.

The new socket (in this case) does not have to be rcd protected under the regs (i don't make them, I just follow them).

I know I read on here somewhere quite a while ago, where a guy had failed his assessment because his NIC assessor stated that any socket additions to a non-rcd protected circuit meant the whole circuit had to be upgraded to being rcd protected :thinking:

However, I digress, and in answer to the original question, probably A. I'm a born worrier and I'd be forever thinking 'What if'.

Option A
And walk away knowing you can sleep soundly at night.One of the only things that separates us from the cowboys is integrity and doing a job right?

I with option D

You are not providing a new circuit just add a point to an existing one.
The cable is surface mounted.
If the socket might be used to power equipment outdoors i would fit a RCD socket

Reply to You're all cowboys! :D in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock