Discuss You're all cowboys! :D in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Erm, I think you'll find that under the 17th all sockets must have RCD protection unless it is for a specific and dedicated pupose and labelled this way. Tell me if I'm wrong? Still gotta do the bonding anyway.

My decision: There is no option D :D

A: Seeing as I like to sleep at night, I would walk away. There is no way the small profit made from this job is worth the grief IF it goes t*ts up!

:juggle2:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry Mr Skelton I disagree. By your description of the extra socket rcd protection is not needed under the regs. (although you and me being professional we would like/insist on it) that's what the regs say.

Long as we follow reg 131.8 & 601.4 before we comence our work, its ok with the regs.

Option D is something you overlooked.

Regulation 411.3.3: In a.c. systems, additional protection by means of an RCD in accordance with regulation 415.1 shall be provided for socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use.

Regulation 411.3.3: In a.c. systems, additional protection by means of an RCD in accordance with regulation 415.1 shall be provided for socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use.

You're right, yes, but the bonding would still need to be done to comply with the regs. Anyway, we're starting to digress, all I was after was an A, B or C.

In reality, what would you guys do? regardless of whether it is to the regs or not?

Could just screw a socket to the wall for £40 and don't wire it. Didn't say they wanted to use it ;) might even put a cert on it for another cheeky fiver, lol

Think you have to just watch the eyes of the client, as soon as they glaze over when your explaining just back up to the door and save their time and yours.

ask what the socket`s to be used for....label it as such......then if the client wants to remove the labeling at a later date......its their call innit...and yes......both earthing and bonding should be checked ....and upgraded if necessary...before any work is undertaken....

Ha yes the bonding question? If its not in place and the customer will not pay for it, let Dave down at the pub do the socket. Just explain to the customer:-

"of course your friend can change the brake pads on your car cheap but only qualified and experienced tradesmen can tell you if your brake lines are up for the job. In your case they are not up to the job so its up to you if you get me in or Dave? Your families safety, your choice, its up to you."

In a round about way that's A in my book.

Ok Mr Skelton what did you do? I guess you were professional and walked away.

Reply to You're all cowboys! :D in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net