Discuss 100m mains extension cable. Where/When/How? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

artshapebox

Hi All,

Is it possible to purchase a 100m mains cable for outdoor use ready to plug in? I have seen multiple posts online mentioning you loose amp-age along the way, which will be fine, as I need the cable for an event with friends, it doesn't have to be up to professional standards. We need power for around 48 hours for a camping weekend. I will be powering turntables/speakers/amp and will have a mains connection 100m away. We have a generator, but it will be too noisy for those trying to sleep/liable to run out mid DJ set. I can find hundreds of 50m heavy duty cables but 100m seems to be off limits. Can i just use 2 x 50m cable or i will this be even worse than 1 x 100m cable? I don't trust myself to wire a cable at home to a 13amp plug etc.

Any help with a cable whereabouts/other ideas much appreciated.

Thanks

Will the tunes that are being pumped out not be more likely to keep people awake? Lol. If you have the volume up enough you won't here the generator running. Used to have beach parties where I'm from and a generator was always used. As for the fuel running out just keep her topped up, or get a bigger tank.

Assuming your equipment totals 2000w and the cable size is 2.5mm (standard CSA on 50m extension leads) and 100m long as stated your volt drop will be around 6% which will actually damage the components in your equipment as they try to compensate for the vd. Buy a 'quiet' generator, as as above either keep it topped up with fuel or buy a bigger tank!

2 x 50meter cables or 1 x 100m cable will not make much difference. Personally I'd get a 100meter roll of 2.5mm 3-core flex cable (cabtyre) and the trailing socket and a plug from an electrical wholesaler and make up my own lead. Depending on the electrical load you're running volt drop across the cable could be an issue.

My advice would be firstly buy cables that are 2.5mm in size, not the smaller 1.5mm or 1mm which are cheaper. If you get issues where your equipment is too much for the cable size and the voltage drops too low you could try splitting the load between two 100m leads with roughly half on each.

Assuming your equipment totals 2000w and the cable size is 2.5mm (standard CSA on 50m extension leads) and 100m long as stated your volt drop will be around 6% which will actually damage the components in your equipment as they try to compensate for the vd. Buy a 'quiet' generator, as as above either keep it topped up with fuel or buy a bigger tank!

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5: Im sorry i've got the mental age of a 12 year old

I'm going with Post 4 on this one....
What about the safety aspect of running a cable 100 meters along who knows what. RCD protection and all that rubbish.... Needs looking into a lot more than just cable size....

I'm going with Post 4 on this one....
What about the safety aspect of running a cable 100 meters along who knows what. RCD protection and all that rubbish.... Needs looking into a lot more than just cable size....

What's wrong with post 6 like

The uk mains voltage varies more than 6%...get some decent 2.5mm blue acrilic cable, better for outdoor use...suggest rcd protection (your call)...then find a fire alarm engineer, and ask him to keep the plastic cable drums, FP200 comes on. Where always given them to sparks for extension leads, the get aprox 80m of 2.5mm on a drum, at use 25mm galv conduit to hold the drum.

What's wrong with post 6 like

haha, nothing mate. I like post 6. Glad I'm not the only one that has a smile on my face when I see VD... We have all got to be aware of VD

Reply to 100m mains extension cable. Where/When/How? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net