Discuss Cabling for garden project (colour coded diagram included) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

GeeTee266

DIY
Reaction score
Looking for some cabling advice for my garden project.

I’ve put together this diagram below, which hopefully explains what I’m trying to achieve.

(FURTHER INFO AND QUESTIONS BELOW DIAGRAM
)
Garden Cable 1.jpg
GREEN – Garden fence lights (1.5mm 3 core cable)
9 x led lights on fence (including 2 on outside of our walled gazebo. I’m thinking of tapping into an outside double socket and chasing the cable of the wall and placing a Wi-Fi enabled light switch on the wall inside the house, allowing me to control the lights from an app. (I’m running the external wall lights attached onto the house, using the same Wi-Fi enabled light switch and app and it’s been working flawlessly for a couple of years.)

YELLOW = Gazebo (4 or 6mm 3 core cable)
I intend to fit 2 x wall mounted electric 2000w patio heaters in the gazebo (16amp draw each). I’ll also have 3 x LED ceiling lights and 2 x double sockets.

RED = Sauna (10mm 3 core cable)
I’ll fit a 10.5kw electric sauna heater with a 48 amp draw, as well as a couple of LED lights inside

ORANGE = Front garden lights
6 x led lights on fence. This will run directly from the main fuse board and I’ll control them with a Wi-Fi enabled light switch on the wall inside the garage, allowing me to control the lights from an app.

BLUE = Shed
In here I’ll have led lights and a double socket.

QUESTIONS:
  1. Can I run just one cable from the main fuse box down into my shed and then fit a garage consumer unit and then run the sauna and gazebo on separate cables from that point?
  2. If it is possible to run just one armoured 3 core cable from the house to a consumer unit in the shed, do I need to make sure that that cable is large enough (i.e. 16mm) to accommodate the total amp draw from all items downstream? (e.g. sauna + gazebo). Or does it not work like that if I'm using a separate consumer unit in the shed?
  3. If that’s not possible, do I need to run 3 separate cables from the house (1 for the shed, 1 for the sauna, 1 for the gazebo)?
For the avoidance of any doubt, I’ll be getting a qualified electrician to connect the cables to the house’s consumer unit and also wiring the electrics for the shed, sauna and gazebo. At this stage, it’s about planning and understanding the cable requirements I need so my landscaper can accommodate them in his garden work.

Any other comments or help would be much appreciated.

I think that is slightly ambitious to be a DIY project.
You did read the part where I said: "I’ll be getting a qualified electrician to connect the cables to the house’s consumer unit and also wiring the electrics for the shed, sauna and gazebo. At this stage, it’s about planning and understanding the cable requirements I need so my landscaper can accommodate them in his garden work."?

You did read the part where I said: "I’ll be getting a qualified electrician to connect the cables to the house’s consumer unit and also wiring the electrics for the shed, sauna and gazebo. At this stage, it’s about planning and understanding the cable requirements I need so my landscaper can accommodate them in his garden work."?

You still need the sparky involved at this stage though, otherwise you risk him not being happy with decisions made.

2 choices, either lay in ducting so the spark can pull in the cables they calculate are required later on.
or
involve a local spark now who will specify the cable and distribution circuits required for the landscaper to bury.

Last edited:
There is simply too much to think about to even suggest cable sizes for this project.
I must agree with my colleagues about involving an electrician at this stage rather than leaving it for later.

It’s not a case of expected load, and working out a cable size from a table online somewhere….
There’s length of run and installation method to consider which can derate the current carrying capacity, meaning you need to go, at a minimum, one cable size bigger.

And is that a basketball net on the plan?

Reply to Cabling for garden project (colour coded diagram included) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net