Discuss Best method to calculate 4 core SWA current rating for two pairs of 1PH line conductors in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

craig1410

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Victron Multiplus-II 5kVA inverter/charger with Pylontech US5000 batteries installed in my house along with a 6.8kWp PV array and associated charge controllers. This installation has full DNO G99 approval and was installed to BS7671 and has been running great for about 18 months, initially with batteries only and then the PV array was installed in July last year. The inverter supports island mode where it can continue to supply the house in the event of a grid outage and for this it has its own earth rod as required by the regs. We have also split our original consumer unit into two "maintained" and "unmaintained" consumer units where the former is fed by the inverter's output and is maintained in a grid outage whereas the latter such as electric shower, range cooker and the garage feed is fed from the primary consumer unit and is not maintained in a grid outage.

However, the inverter is quite noisy and I'm looking into the feasibility of relocating it into my detached garage. We currently have two SWA cables underground between the house and garage.

The first is a 10mm 3 core XLPE SWA cable which is used as the garage sub-main feed and is running off a 40A MCB currently. It uses two cores for line and neutral and the third core is used as an earth bond to export the TN-C-S earth from the house. This feed runs a 7.4kW EV charger plus the sockets and lights for the garage. The cable is buried for about 4m of its 12m total length with the other 8m a mix of clipped direct and free air.

The second cable is a 10mm 4 core XLPE SWA cable which is currently used to bring over the two solar PV DC strings from the garage, where the PV array is mounted, to the house where the Victron charge controllers are located next to the inverter. This cable takes the same route as the 3 core cable and is the same approximate length of 12m.

My question is whether I can repurpose the 4 core 10mm cable to act as two pairs of line conductors to carry the AC In and AC Out to and from the inverter. This would allow me to relocate the Victron and Pylontech gear to the garage where it would be closer to the PV array and would run much cooler than it currently does under our stairs. It also removes all that gear from under the stairs which is beneficial for fire safety and noise. The batteries are LiFePO4 chemistry so pretty safe but still...

I've got the 18th edition regs and OSG and have found table 4E4A which gives current ratings for 2 core 1PH or 3/4 core 3PH but doesn't specifically cover using the 4 cores as two independent 2 core pairs of line conductors. For my application the worst (albeit unlikely) case would be to have the inverter fed with 50A via its 50A MCB and then boost this to 70A to return back to the house. This is highly unlikely in practice and I have 1 minute resolution data to show that the highest input current seen in the last month was 28.4A and the max return current was 27A. The maximum instantaneous sum of these currents seen was 47.3A. Ref method D (buried) for 3/4 core 3PH 10mm is 58A and for ref method C it's 73A. So I think using the 4 core 10mm cable is probably fine but I would probably install an MCB on the return line to limit return current to 50A since I've never seen more than 27A in practice and can't imagine ever needing the fully boosted 70A. I realise that table 4D4A might be more appropriate because you are only supposed to use 90C temperature rating of XLPE if all the other switchgear is 90C rated. But in my case the cables are only buried in the middle 4m section of the 12m cable to will be much cooler as they approach both ends of the switchgear.

Sorry for the long ramble, hence the addition of the TL;DR. :)
Thanks in advance.

TL;DR
Can a 4 core 10mm XLPE SWA cable safely handle 50A flowing in all 4 conductors simultaneously (single phase, 2 pairs of L+N). Cable length is 12m with 4m ref method D and 8m ref methods C & E. Table 4D4A and 4E4A in regs don't cover this scenario.
What you are proposing is a non starter IMO as the big issue is the two sources of supply at different ends of the cable and there is no way of providing a single point of isolation if a cable fault occurs therefore it would present a dangerous situation in such instance

What you are proposing is a non starter IMO as the big issue is the two sources of supply at different ends of the cable and there is no way of providing a single point of isolation if a cable fault occurs therefore it would present a dangerous situation in such instance
Hi, firstly thanks for taking time to reply, I really appreciate it.

Hmm, interesting point and I can certainly see where you're coming from. I'll have a look in the regs to see if I can see exactly what is said about this but for now, let me play devil's advocate...

Would this be the same situation if say I had 4 singles inside a metal conduit where one pair of singles had an isolator at one end of the conduit and the other pair of singles had an isolator at the other end? I realise this is a bit of a contrived example but might happen in a workshop perhaps where conduit is carrying supplies to heavy machines or other equipment.

My argument assumes that we can equate an SWA envelope with a conduit which I realise isn't quite the same.

Worst case I do have a piece of 63mm ducting installed between the house and garage but it was more for pulling comms cables and I'm not sure I'll be able to pull another 10mm SWA through it, even a 2 core. Might be worth a try though otherwise I'll have to dig up the cables again for what will be the third or fourth time now... (don't ask!) :)

Thanks again.

Unless I'm missing something I don't see an issue with your proposal.

In my opinion there is no reason to give the cable a single means of isolation.

In my opinion there is no reason to give the cable a single means of isolation.
Ok thanks for that. I'll have a read through the regs to see if I can find anything anyway but my installation has laminated diagrams next to the equipment which details startup and isolation procedures as per the regs or DNO requirements, and it's all labelled up with the dual supply labels and all the other PV related labels as you might expect. I can certainly add additional labels where helpful to further illustrate this if needed.

I can kinda see where @UNG is coming from though - a fire fighter or DNO engineer or future home owner might not expect to have to isolate a cable at both ends to make it safe. But I would sincerely hope that they would check both ends, especially when generating equipment is involved. And I'd hope they would read the safety instructions provided where possible.

I'm no expert regarding PV so maybe I am wrong but fundamentally I see no problem but I stand to be corrected.

Understood, thanks.

I wonder if providing lockable isolators at both ends might mitigate part of the concern. At least that way an engineer would be able to use a lock off kit to isolate and wouldn't need to be in a position to supervise both ends of the cable to ensure nobody switched it back on.

One end would be isolated via the inverter supply MCB in the main DB and could be locked off if need be, and the other end would also have an MCB as I mentioned to protect the 10mm cable from a theoretical 70A boosted supply which would never happen in normal operation.

Actually, I just found in the regs in 514.11.1 where it says:
A notice of such durable material as to be likely to remain easily legible throughout the life of the installation shall be fixed in each position where there are live parts which are not capable of being isolated by a single device. The location of each disconnector (isolator) shall be indicated unless there is no possibility of confusion.
So, sounds like I can cover this off with a bit of labelling.

Just to confirm this cable supplies AC to the inverter then takes generated AC back.

Just to confirm this cable supplies AC to the inverter then takes generated AC back.
That's correct - this is currently what happens locally under my stairs. There are 10mm singles inside of trunking which take power from the DB1 50A MCB via a rotary AC isolator to the inverter AC-In. The inverter AC-Out1 then goes to a changeover switch to DB2 which feeds the majority of the house loads. The changeover switch allows me to effectively bypass the inverter in case of failure or maintenance, and lets me power DB2 directly from DB1 via the same 50A MCB.

So essentially all I'm doing is extending the existing 10mm cables to and from the inverter by 12m or so to relocate the inverter and batteries to the garage. A bit more to it than that obviously but that's the objective.

btw, I see in 537.1.2 it also talks about if the installation or item of equipment or enclosure contains live parts fed from more than one supply then appropriate durable warning labels should be used. So this suggests to me that this is okay as long as it's labelled up.

A picture paints a thousand words so here's an SLD showing my installation and some annotations to show the proposed relocation of the DC equipment to the garage.

Final Circuit Diagram annotated.jpeg

Reply to Best method to calculate 4 core SWA current rating for two pairs of 1PH line conductors in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net