Discuss 12 gauge wire UK usage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm after a little advice I have a fair amount of 12 gauge hot neutral and ground cable. Is there any reason apart from the colours being different I can't use this in my upcoming extension?
I believe from my basic research it will take 230volts and in the US they use it for 20 amp circuits, so will be ok on a 16amp trip switch.

Many thanks
Terry

TBH for the sake of a reel of cable, wouldn't it be better to use UK approved kit?

This may save you heaps of hassle later on!

What does the builder / spark say?

It has Romex 12-2 600v (ul) printed on it, it's like twin & earth. A mate of mine uses it on US motorhome restorations / UK conversions he has loads of the stuff and says I can have what ever I need.

I'm after a little advice I have a fair amount of 12 gauge hot neutral and ground cable. Is there any reason apart from the colours being different I can't use this in my upcoming extension?
I believe from my basic research it will take 230volts and in the US they use it for 20 amp circuits, so will be ok on a 16amp trip switch.

Many thanks
Terry
Does the cable you have comply with BS7671,

TBH for the sake of a reel of cable, wouldn't it be better to use UK approved kit?

This may save you heaps of hassle later on!

What does the builder / spark say?

Hi Murdoch thanks for the reply, tbh you have a good point 2.5 is only £30 from Screwfix. I thought how my last electrician spoke it was expensive, it was obviously him who was expensive!!

Hi Murdoch thanks for the reply, tbh you have a good point 2.5 is only £30 from Screwfix. I thought how my last electrician spoke it was expensive, it was obviously him who was expensive!!
that's only for 50m though.

FYI copper prices have varied a lot over the last few years and cable is a bit like petrol - quick to rise, slow to reduce!

If you don't "trust" the sparks, just get a few quotes ......

What about the CE side of things. You can't use cable in the Us unless it's UL rated. Doesn't the same apply for our cables and they have to be CE rated.

As an aside. Is it solid core , if so is it allowed in motor-homes he is converting for use in the UK
Solid core not allowed in caravan / motor homes, more risk of snapping due to movement whilst traveling, must be flexible cables

As far as I am aware, BS7671 does not specify types of cable that may be used.
It does specify electrical equipment must comply with relevant British Standards, but also allows for equipment that complies with other standards to be used.

Reply to 12 gauge wire UK usage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net