Currently reading:
14 new 9.5kw showers to be installed on existing supply

Discuss 14 new 9.5kw showers to be installed on existing supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would honestly push for a different solution. 14 x 9.5kw showers is not the way forward. I would struggle to apply diversity here as well, who's to say the showers won't be used all at once, ok maybe not now but in the future? At the very least, why not look at 7.5kw showers for a start! What's the need for 9.5's? ;)

I am planning to split the load over 3 phases fed from a consumer unit on each floor via main dis board, the rooms don't have there own c/us so this makes thing a little simpler, diversity as follows:-

14 x 9500=133000
133000/3
44,330/230=192A

div=
2 x100% + 3x25%

Good luck with your sub mains and ct's etc for that lot. Sounds absolutely crazy what you are trying to do.

I wouldn't even consider it. And you say that the water supply isn't your concern but it would be when the showers don't work due to lack of pressure........wouldn't it? I've seen this happen with only two showers in use!

I remember doing a washing facilities at caravan park , probsly 10 power showers were used and had a tank out back 4 times size of oil tank.. And massive pump buried out the back........ Mechanical

Might be worth me raising a concern over the water issue agreed! However i will have 375 A to play with here I'm sure a supply of that size and I'm sure the chances of even 50% of the showers being on at the same time ( even assuming that the the shower is at full wack(9.5kw)) this is manageable , when all that we have is low energy communal lighting and a couple of t.v.s running.

install a 10KVA generator (2 stroke) outside each shower room. not only will that sort out the loading problem, but starting the buggers with the pull cords will keep the old buggers fit.

You calculation in post number 22 was:

14 x 9500=133000
133000/3
44,330/230=192A

You added up the total KW of 14 showers then divided by 3 and calculated the per phase current from that. To achieve this in the real world you will have to connect 4.66 showers to each phase.

You calculation in post number 22 was:

14 x 9500=133000
133000/3
44,330/230=192A

You added up the total KW of 14 showers then divided by 3 and calculated the per phase current from that. To achieve this in the real world you will have to connect 4.66 showers to each phase.

easy when you've cut out the cable entry and wet-pants has butchered out his pipe entry then melted away half the plastic casing with his blowlamp, that's 0.34 of the 5 showers gone, leaving 4,66.

Might be worth me raising a concern over the water issue agreed! However i will have 375 A to play with here I'm sure a supply of that size and I'm sure the chances of even 50% of the showers being on at the same time ( even assuming that the the shower is at full wack(9.5kw)) this is manageable , when all that we have is low energy communal lighting and a couple of t.v.s running.

Unless switched to "economy mode", which nobody does, these showers always pull "full wack".

I think that many instant shower units is a crazy idea. You could run just 3 x 200 litre 4kW hot water cylinders, one on each phase with 5 or 6 showers piped from each cylinder. It would probably cost a fraction of the price and would draw a fraction of the peak load.

Reply to 14 new 9.5kw showers to be installed on existing supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock