Discuss 16 to 8 amp 3 phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

waynesplash

Hi there,

I have 3 Phase in my Workshop, with a few Machines, recentlybought a new machine, but found out the Socket is bigger that I was gong to it into, as my other Welding Machinethat fits into this is only 8 Amp, can I get a Socket to fit into this, thatwill that have an 8 and 16 Amp points on that I can then Plug my Welder intoOne and the other Machine in the other ??? If that’s not possible, can I Wireup from One of the other Boxes that come off the main board, or will I have torun a Wire from the main board itself ??? Thx for your Time and help.

Wayne

i can only suggest that you get an electrician in to do what you require safely. where in wales are you? several members may be close enough to you.

More knowledge as to the machine would be good if the machine has a plated max demand 8amps its quite possible you can just fit a larger plug on it .... only though i stress if the machine is either of a fixed load class or has overload protection within it s controls.

The machine falls outside the BS 7671 standards that this forum hovers around and more than likely will fall under BS60204 so to answer your query if there is a cheap solution to this is not straight forward. You need an Electrical Engineer who has a grasp of both standards to ensure you don't end up paying for work that isn't needed.

95% of the electricians i meet will not know both sets of reg's and if the possibility of just upgrading to a larger plug exists then they will not be aware of it... hence my recommendation to get a Electrical Engineer or a Electrician fluent in industrial set-ups and machinery requirements.

I don't want to put you off, but what colour of plug did your new "machine" come attached with, and what type of machine is it? What colour of sockets do you have in you workshop and how many pins does it have? (Plugs are attached to machines, sockets are attached to the supply). Is the plug on your machine the same colour as your sockets?

Hi there,

Just hoping there was an adapter Icould buy ??? The Machine has a 16 Amp Red Plug on it, but my Socket which me Welder goes inis the smaller type, 8 Amp, was wondering if I could just plugsomething on the the existing Socket, and then just Plug in either myWelerwththe8 Amp, or Plug both into to some kind o adapter. Or if not, do we I needto go from a sub box or the main board and start new and run a 16 Ampsocket out from the main board so as the Plug my new Machine in.

Wayne

I'd suggest you buy a plug identical to the one on the other welder and get a sparky to pop in and fit it correctly. If you mess this up it could cost you a welder and maybe an eyebrow or two.

Hi there,

Just hoping there was an adapter Icould buy ??? The Machine has a 16 Amp Red Plug on it, but my Socket which me Welder goes inis the smaller type, 8 Amp, was wondering if I could just plugsomething on the the existing Socket, and then just Plug in either myWelerwththe8 Amp, or Plug both into to some kind o adapter. Or if not, do we I needto go from a sub box or the main board and start new and run a 16 Ampsocket out from the main board so as the Plug my new Machine in.

Wayne

Get someone who knows what they are doing.

8A? Really?! 16 and 32A are the two common sizes, sounds like you have a 16A 3 phase plug and if you are trying to fit it into a smaller "commando" type socket then I presume it's blue, which means you have a single phase socket albeit still 16A.

Just because you have 3 phase supply in your workshop doesn't mean every outlet is 3 phase.

Sounds to me that you are trying to fit a 3 phase plug into a single phase socket outlet.....

Ok thx all, will get it done with a Sparky. But I was wondering,you know when you have a 110 Drill, plug it into the 110 converter box, theOnes you need on Site Work, then you plug the 110 converter box into the 240,well I was hoping that there was a box that I could plug into the 8 Amp socketI all ready have, and then plug my 8 Amp Welder and my new 16 Amp machine intothis, is there anything like that about please ??? As the price I was givenjust to run a lead out 3m with a 16 Amp socket on was £290, thought it wouldonly be about £50. My fault, as when I seen the machine and it said 3 Phase, Idid not know there were different size plugs on these, thought they were allthe same.

Wayne

Have you contacted the manufacturers of the machine?
If so have you asked them if replacing the 16amp plug with a 32amp would be ok.... as i said its quite possible the machine can be classed as a fixed load item or may have internal overload protection....

£1 phone call may save you a fortune.... or can you supply a link to the machine you have bought?

If so have you asked them if replacing the 16amp plug with a 32amp would be ok.... as i said its quite possible the machine can be classed as a fixed load item or may have internal overload protection....

£1 phone call may save you a fortune.... or can you supply a link to the machine you have bought?

Hi there,

It’s a very old machine; only know it’s called a wikstrom. Lucky in the photo you can see the plug. So there is nobox like I said above like the 110 that fits in a 240 ???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Hydraulic-Metal-Cropper-Guillotine-Machine-3-Phase-/321230095879?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AGB%3A1123&item=321230095879&nma=true&si=VdQF%252BK0Z5HXA2fMr8gZ3NRPOCHo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Wayne

Hi there,

It’s a very old machine; only know it’s called a wikstrom. Lucky in the photo you can see the plug. So there is nobox like I said above like the 110 that fits in a 240 ???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Hydraulic-Metal-Cropper-Guillotine-Machine-3-Phase-/321230095879?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AGB%3A1123&item=321230095879&nma=true&si=VdQF%252BK0Z5HXA2fMr8gZ3NRPOCHo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Wayne

Its a 3 phase plug on there.

What colour is your socket on the wall?

Ok thx all, will get it done with a Sparky. But I was wondering,you know when you have a 110 Drill, plug it into the 110 converter box, theOnes you need on Site Work, then you plug the 110 converter box into the 240,well I was hoping that there was a box that I could plug into the 8 Amp socketI all ready have, and then plug my 8 Amp Welder and my new 16 Amp machine intothis, is there anything like that about please ??? As the price I was givenjust to run a lead out 3m with a 16 Amp socket on was £290, thought it wouldonly be about £50. My fault, as when I seen the machine and it said 3 Phase, Idid not know there were different size plugs on these, thought they were allthe same.

Wayne
​What you want to do is read what Darkwood has said here, if the manufacturer says OK then this is the easiest solution, however it could be dangerous to do without confirmation.

You state some strange values in your posts that do not seem to match with the UK power supply standard sockets and plugs, so it is important that you do know what you are talking about before getting anything changed.

If you wanted a plug in solution then power distribution boxes are available that may provide what you want, however they will cost in the region of £250, so a permanent solution would be a better answer.

Talk to the person from whom you got the initial price and ask them if they can correctly and within the regulations and safety requirements of the easiest solution to your problem. If they cannot then find someone who can advise you.

You state some strange values in your posts that do not seem to match with the UK power supply standard sockets and plugs, so it is important that you do know what you are talking about before getting anything changed.

If you wanted a plug in solution then power distribution boxes are available that may provide what you want, however they will cost in the region of £250, so a permanent solution would be a better answer.

Talk to the person from whom you got the initial price and ask them if they can correctly and within the regulations and safety requirements of the easiest solution to your problem. If they cannot then find someone who can advise you.

That seems a good idea, will take a close up photo of the plug on the machine to see if there I anything I can buy.

Wayne

Reply to 16 to 8 amp 3 phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net