Discuss 16a MCB/Water Heater in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
Right theres a good chance I could be picking this up wrong, but I'm sure this was what was said. Boy in my college class said he spurred off a water heater circuit (3kw) for a socket for a 2kw fire. Surely this can't be right?

the answer to that is no its not right any item above 3 kw in load should be on its own circuit and water heaters should be ,if the circuit is protected by a 16 amp MCB the chances are it will trip as the loading if they are on at the same time will be 21 amps so yu are right in saying its wrong

Take a look at 554 water heaters must be supplied on a seperate circuit, complete with double pole isolation

AFAIK most of 554 refers to electrode heaters or heaters with uninsulated elements which are different to domestic immersion heaters that have insulated elements. The relevant bit of the BRB is appendix 15 (informative) which says generally that you should not put immersion heaters on a ring final circuit.

That is of course assuming that the OP was talking about an immersion heater in the first place.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 16a MCB/Water Heater in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I'm looking at a vending hot drinks machine 2.9kW that has a thermostatically controlled hot water tank permanently attached to a water supply...
Replies
Views
I'm following a spark who used an existing Panel Heater circuit, for new gas boiler circuit 6 months ago. The panel heaters were removed, so it's...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I have recently moved into a new home and I am having problems with the MCB/RCD tripping (Mem M6 Type 3 - 30mA). It intermittently...
Replies
Views
Done a few EICR's recently and having a blonde moment regarding storage heaters. All storage heaters in the property are rated at 1.5kw and fed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just to be clear, I'm not looking for advice on upgrading but rather just clarification of our existing setup. We need to upgrade the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock