Discuss 16mm t&e tails?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

disley

I was asked to look at a job today to give advice and maybe a price.
The job has been half done by a sparky who has gone awol.
A row of 4 houses new build.
The supply cables and cut outs have been installed, (by electricity supplier) but NO meters yet, in external enclosures. 100A fuses
The first thing that I noticed was the meter enclosures are not in line with the houses (they are in the back gardens) but in pairs so 2 of the houses have got 2 meter enclosures on the back wall, 2 have not, houses 2 and 4 with the enclosures.
2 houses practicaly finnished (but no EI certificate), 2 houses first fixed only.
No Gas supplies, so going on econnemy 7 with storage heaters.
The main thing that was a little disturbing was the tails to the consumer unit in the first house ran THROUGH the second house under the kitchen units partially in the wall and part on the floor in 2 runs of 16mm t&e with a 10mm earth taped to each, going to 2 separate consumer units, 1 general house and 1 storage heater supplies, the run was approx 5-6mts
The other thing that was distubing was the sparky that is awol has connected up the first house on a temp 2way consumer unit in the meter enclosure (WITH NO METER) the first house was live!!!!!!!!!
Surely the 16mm T&E supply cables are not big enough?????
The General house CU was a 12 way split load 2 rcd and the Storage heater CU was a 6way rcd (so 6storage heaters per house),
Is it ok for the meter enclosures to be on next doors property???
Am I right in thinking the 16mm tails would have to be put on 63A rcd's and mcb's or 63A rcbo's in the main meter enclosures?????
Sorry for the long post hope I made myself clear, Just after a bit of guidance on this,
I think I should stay clear of this one!!!

I think I should stay clear of this one!!!

I think you have very sound judgement!

If there are two pairs of tails, then presumably the supplier will be fitting a timeswitch in the meter cabinet to control the off peak supply. This isn't going to leave much space for two switch fuses to protect the long tails. (You shouldn't be putting them in the meter cabinet anyway.) And you can't put them inside someone else's house.

If I was doing this job I'd be recommending that the builder installs two new meter cabinets in the correct properties and gets to DNO to move the supply to the new cabinets.

wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. looks like it could turn into a nasty situation between builders and purchasers with you in the middle.

I suppose even if you were to replace the tails with 25mm you'd still have to install a DP iso as its over 5 meters right?
What kind of crazy decision making went on between the spark the builder and the DNO? Its Lunacy.

You might want to ask yourself why the original sparks went awol....sounds like a can of worms to me.

Thanks for all the replies..
If I was doing this job I'd be recommending that the builder installs two new meter cabinets in the correct properties and gets to DNO to move the supply to the new cabinets.

That sounds like good advice, Thats what i will be recomending..
If the builder gets the supplies moved, maybe I will look at it again...
Although as Rockingit says, it is a bit of a can of worms job..
prob best to give my advice, and walk away!!!!!!

Reply to 16mm t&e tails?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net