• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss 18th Edition Regulations exam study in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Taking my 18th in a few weeks, studying 17th past papers and know the book very well as most of scope will be on that I assume, however anyone familiar with the new additions concerning under floor/wall heating elements bonding requirements and energy efficiency regs.

Last edited:
99% of it is unchanged so of course you can study, they're not going to change the whole book, just thought someone may have the heads up on the additions, it will be in print somewhere, it's released in a couple of weeks.

Taking my 18th in a few weeks, studying 17th past papers and know the book very well as most of scope will be on that I assume, however anyone familiar with the new additions concerning under floor/wall heating elements bonding requirements and energy efficiency regs.
file:///C:/Users/Pete/Desktop/18th%20Edition%20BS7671.pdf

99% of it is unchanged so of course you can study, they're not going to change the whole book, just thought someone may have the heads up on the additions, it will be in print somewhere, it's released in a couple of weeks.

How about approaching your course provider ? They must know the exact content and its wording as they must have designed and tailored their course already. Unless of course they haven't.

I would expect the changes to make up a significant proportion of the new exam to test knowledge of the changes. I would not expect questions on the existing unchanged regs to feature as much as 99% of the test.

How much for a 3 day course, exam and loss of earnings....not to mention all the new paperwork...….all for 1% extra to what you know already? ….and for many of us, being mentored by an inferior electrical 'expert'.

booked mine for the 18th July. they wouldn't do it any earlier as they said they wont get the books until the 2nd and need a few weeks to get their head around it first too. don't know how true that is though.

booked mine for the 18th July. they wouldn't do it any earlier as they said they wont get the books until the 2nd and need a few weeks to get their head around it first too. don't know how true that is though.
Strongly advise cancelling and getting your money back. I did this for the 17 th edition last time around.
Complete waist of time. £150 for the lecturers to tell us they don't know to every question asked.
Wait a bit, there is an overlap allowed.
I'm waiting for feed back from others before I do a course or update.

They're not going to do 60 questions on the minor changes, the exam is to test your understanding of the wiring regs complete not just the new bits. Some candidates could be going from 16th to 18th.

I did think about leaving it but I have a few weeks off work coming up so took advantage.
at the end of the day the answers are all in the book so if I need to know anything Ill look it up. I just need the certificate and next month worked out well for me.

It's like sitting a new driving test because you have bought an updated model with steering assist and all the toys.
If you have all the editions an update is fair enough in my opinion.

I wasn't going to bother , but I am at a loose end now. So come September , if my local college still do it I think I will book the course and do it.

Without wanting to set @Midwest off again, who has booked for the cinema showing (think it’s in July 4th - just checked!)
Anyone?

Think I'm washing my hair that day.

Edit; co-incidentally, the movie 'The First Purge' is for release on the 4th July. If you get board, you could pop next door & see that. Its a horror movie, so something similar :D

No, not booked. Can’t see the point to it.
No experience of belonging to any Scheme, but do they not insist, that to be a new member, you should within a time frame get yourself the new BS7671 qualification, as I said I have had no experience with the likes of NICEIC so hence my question, not that it bothers me, as I am now an interested non working Electrician. Mind you I may get updated just to stop myself going doolally, now do the they do discounts for Pensioners, I wonder? no harm in asking is there? don't ask don't get, I'll let you know, but I'm not very optimistic, couple of Hundred for the books, plus course fees, could stop the intake of Vino for a while.

Think I'm washing my hair that day.

Edit; co-incidentally, the movie 'The First Purge' is for release on the 4th July. If you get board, you could pop next door & see that. Its a horror movie, so something similar :D
Wish I had hair to wash Mate.

Reply to 18th Edition Regulations exam study in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back