Discuss 2 electricians on site at any given time - your feedback in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How can discussing hair straighteners which I assume this is referring to get smutty.
You must have lead a sheltered life Westy, when and where have you ever seen a battery powered hair straightener? although I suppose it could work on a Brazilian.

Sounds like he has confidence problems and maybe issues interacting with new people, we had a similar problem with a lad who kept saying he needed more training but he was more competent than most of our team, perfectly happy and able when I was there but didn't like lone working.

We've had some sparks that just don't like working alone and don't understand that you can't charge the customer for one man to stand watching while the other changes a light switch.

in terms of working alone in some domestic settings, it is something i have thought about. this day and age it is far too easy for somebody top make an allegation of a sinister kind and you are guilty until proven innocent.

If going to somebody's house in back of my mind i do think is the person a bit of a nutter, do i feel okay being there. this day and age its a sad fact, but you have to protect yourself.

You can't always avoid some situations but the guy may have a valid concern here. otherwise i do think hes got confidence issues. best thing to do is sit him down and be straight with your concerns. if he doesn't improve then i would send him packing.

in terms of working alone in some domestic settings, it is something i have thought about. this day and age it is far too easy for somebody top make an allegation of a sinister kind and you are guilty until proven innocent.

If going to somebody's house in back of my mind i do think is the person a bit of a nutter, do i feel okay being there. this day and age its a sad fact, but you have to protect yourself.

You can't always avoid some situations but the guy may have a valid concern here. otherwise i do think hes got confidence issues. best thing to do is sit him down and be straight with your concerns. if he doesn't improve then i would send him packing.

This is one of the biggest concerns my parents had, more so because I'm a woman. If I think there is a risk, I keep some sharp and/or heavy implements to hand and always keep my keys and my phone handy. But thus far, most of my customers have been vulnerable themselves (elderly or single women for example - many of whom have expressed how pleased they are to have the choice of using a female tradesman for the same reasons I worry about this stuff). I have made the conscious decision to put my knife and a screwdriver in my pocket on one or two quote visits because I was unsure of what I might be walking into.

If he's really concerned about that side of it, the OP could get him a lone worker solution. I looked into them and only the cost stopped me going for it because my funds are limited. The one I found had a panic button, GPS tracking, two way radio coms so if you were unsure you could enable a listen in mode and also an accelerometer to detect falls. Very cool solution and it was only slightly bigger than a standard ID badge holder.

Also, maybe he should learn how to use his MFT as a weapon... IR at 500v across someone's chest isn't going to do them any favours. Whilst I don't like the possibility that it may result in their death, if it came down to a them or me situation, I think I would take my chances and stick it to them.

Sad that we have to think like this really, but in this day and age, you just never know.

This is one of the biggest concerns my parents had, more so because I'm a woman. If I think there is a risk, I keep some sharp and/or heavy implements to hand and always keep my keys and my phone handy. But thus far, most of my customers have been vulnerable themselves (elderly or single women for example - many of whom have expressed how pleased they are to have the choice of using a female tradesman for the same reasons I worry about this stuff). I have made the conscious decision to put my knife and a screwdriver in my pocket on one or two quote visits because I was unsure of what I might be walking into.

If he's really concerned about that side of it, the OP could get him a lone worker solution. I looked into them and only the cost stopped me going for it because my funds are limited. The one I found had a panic button, GPS tracking, two way radio coms so if you were unsure you could enable a listen in mode and also an accelerometer to detect falls. Very cool solution and it was only slightly bigger than a standard ID badge holder.

Also, maybe he should learn how to use his MFT as a weapon... IR at 500v across someone's chest isn't going to do them any favours. Whilst I don't like the possibility that it may result in their death, if it came down to a them or me situation, I think I would take my chances and stick it to them.

Sad that we have to think like this really, but in this day and age, you just never know.
. IR at 500v across someone's chest isn't going to do them any favours.

too time consuming attaching the leads. use the MFT like a handbag, swing it by the strap and connect sharply with adversary's yed. ( charge for re-calibration, of course ).

OP - I think this chap is way too demanding to work in your world. And I predict it will only get worse with more demands as time goes by. He perhaps needs to find employ in a large company with a tea room etc (no offence, I used to love it :) ).

. I looked into them and only the cost stopped me going for it because my funds are limited. The one I found had a panic button, GPS tracking, two way radio coms so if you were unsure you could enable a listen in mode and also an accelerometer to detect falls. Very cool solution and it was only slightly bigger than a standard ID badge holder.

Also, maybe he should learn how to use his MFT as a weapon... IR at 500v across someone's chest isn't going to do them any favours.

@SparkyChick have you had a look at the suzy lampugh trust website? they list a whole host of various solutions, you can get app based ones from a few pounds a month to dedicated devices for much more and everything in between. most will also give you free trials, I hope you never need one or have to use it but this day and age you can never say never.
Lone worker devices - https://www.suzylamplugh.org/Pages/Category/lone-worker-devices?

I have thought about a digital dictaphone on record in some properties as i have simply not felt fully okay in there as some people just give you a sixth sense of trouble.

As for using your MFT to basically tazer somebody with 500v then then maybe you should just get a cattle prod off ebay for 20 quid... im not sure of the legality(its openly on sale on ebay so not sure if its illegal?) as its not a actual tazer but maybe you can justify it as a trade tool to induce voltages on circuits? or maybe modify it so its made to do a legitimate business function? btw i do not advocate illegals acts in the pursuit of self defence ;-)
cattle prod | eBay - http://tinyurl.com/cattleprods

@SparkyChick have you had a look at the suzy lampugh trust website? they list a whole host of various solutions, you can get app based ones from a few pounds a month to dedicated devices for much more and everything in between. most will also give you free trials, I hope you never need one or have to use it but this day and age you can never say never.
Lone worker devices - https://www.suzylamplugh.org/Pages/Category/lone-worker-devices?

I have thought about a digital dictaphone on record in some properties as i have simply not felt fully okay in there as some people just give you a sixth sense of trouble.

As for using your MFT to basically tazer somebody with 500v then then maybe you should just get a cattle prod off ebay for 20 quid... im not sure of the legality(its openly on sale on ebay so not sure if its illegal?) as its not a actual tazer but maybe you can justify it as a trade tool to induce voltages on circuits? or maybe modify it so its made to do a legitimate business function? btw i do not advocate illegals acts in the pursuit of self defence ;-)
cattle prod | eBay - http://tinyurl.com/cattleprods
Does that Dictaphone need PATesting?

You might be one hell of a nice guy,however,it can make for a less than forceful employer

The vast majority of bosses would not have come on a forum asking opinion,it would be "my way or no way"or words to that effect
You are holding his hand yet not happy doing so,there seems to be the need for change
Was he engaged with agreement between you both on the items you feel are restrictive

Of course you do not want to lose the investment of time taken to train such a person. The up side of it is that at least he wont wander off and become a competitor, just yet. Clearly you must play to his strengths and use him where he is most productive. Refusing to work at a task is however a sackable item, no two ways about it. Sounds like the tail wagging the dog which is unnaceptable. We have had to contend with people like this (not in an electrical capacity, but mental health care). They are on their own agenda and do what they see as fit rather than follow instructions. We tend to make clear they must carry out whatever they are asked to do, not including jumping off buildings etc. or anything that may cause harm them. Just what is reasonable within their job description. Where we can we send people on further training if there are areas they lack a skill in. It sounds like there are some areas of training that may be appropriate, such as customer skills/service that this person is lacking. You have to be so careful with employees as if you make life too difficult you may lose them and get sued for contructive dismissal. You may consider legal insurance if you have none already. We have had a couple of pro's trying to take us to the cleaners re suing for dismissal, however we are cleverer than that and forestalled/predicted where it was going. I don't know if I am overreading your situation or what the contractual position is just guessing.

Unfortunately,the length of that list of issues,indicates he has been adding to it,for a fair while,and you have allowed him.

For instance,the first time he mentioned not wanting to drive,would have been the ideal opportunity to tell him "It's not happening,pal".

He now has a large build up of "accepted practice" and will need either a full straightening out,or 2/3 hours of therapy:)

I grew up with gypsies,farmers and dealing men,so i cannot even touch on the standard methods of attitude correction...or the brevity with which,these adjustments follow, testing behaviour :eek:

Reply to 2 electricians on site at any given time - your feedback in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net