Discuss 2 single pole switches to ceiling rose - college assignment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nathsinar

Hi guys! i have a college assignment for my C&G college 1st year apprentice program and have been asked to draw up a plan of a 2 way lighting circuit from a dist board to a ceiling rose(looped ceiling rose for option of additional feeds) then linked to two single pole switches using 3core and earth

for simplicity i will exclude the earth on here

This is my theory as i know it can be done in various ways.

1.) twin and earth from my consumer unit to my ceiling rose obviously L to L , N to N

2.) Secondly i would drop another piece of twin and earth from my ceiling rose to my first 2 way switch with the L going to L1 and then the Live neutral going to L2 from the ceiling rose

3.) finally the last step i would use a piece of three core between the 2 switches linking the L1's with the grey core live core and the L2's with the Black live core (for my switching) then using the brown live to link the commons up

will this method work?

Thanks for taking the time to read
your advice is much appreciated
Nathan

Hi guys! i have a college assignment for my C&G college 1st year apprentice program and have been asked to draw up a plan of a 2 way lighting circuit from a dist board to a ceiling rose(looped ceiling rose for option of additional feeds) then linked to two single pole switches using 3core and earth

for simplicity i will exclude the earth on here

This is my theory as i know it can be done in various ways.

1.) twin and earth from my consumer unit to my ceiling rose obviously L to L , N to N

2.) Secondly i would drop another piece of twin and earth from my ceiling rose to my first 2 way switch with the L going to L1 and then the Live neutral going to L2 from the ceiling rose

3.) finally the last step i would use a piece of three core between the 2 switcheslinking the L1's with the grey core live core and the L2's with the Black live core (for my switching) then using the brown live to link the commons up

will this method work?

Thanks for taking the time to read
your advice is much appreciated
Nathan

Hi nathan=Live neutral going to L2 not the correct terminology bud, but yes the blue switch wire from the ceiling rose would connect to the switch in with a strapper from the 3 core accross to the other switch

that's a standard way of wiring. just 2 points. 1. it's not "live neutral", it's switched live. 2. i tend to use black for the common-common, but it's not set in stone, use whatever you like as long as it's consistent. don't forget to sleeve the black,grey,blue conductors with brown sleeve where appropriate.

ask 3 sparks which colours they use for what, and you'll likely get 3 different answers. i use black for common, brown for L1 with the bron of the switch wire and grey with the blue sleeved in L2, but that's just personal choice.

It is irrelevent what colours you use, I would use grey between commons and brown in the twin from the ceiling rose to the brown of the 3 core in L1, then the blue of the twin from the ceiling rose to the black of the 3 core in L2, all non browns sleaved with brown sleaving of course, but the colours are your choice IMO, most sparks would use my method, but by no means all of them as many like to link the common with brown, which is very acceptable.

- - - Updated - - -

ask 3 sparks which colours they use for what, and you'll likely get 3 different answers. i use black for common, brown for L1 with the bron of the switch wire and grey with the blue sleeved in L2, but that's just personal choice.

Beat me too it this time haha

Get in touch with one of the mods so you can get access to the trainee section of the forum mate. You can ask anything in there without fear of ridicule, most of the mods don't bite but be careful which one you ask:)

that's a standard way of wiring. just 2 points. 1. it's not "live neutral", it's switched live. 2. i tend to use black for the common-common, but it's not set in stone, use whatever you like as long as it's consistent. don't forget to sleeve the black,grey,blue conductors with brown sleeve where appropriate.

I meant that my bad haha, just wasnt sure if i sat this in an exam their was a specific way it would need to be wired according to the regs bud

Get in touch with one of the mods so you can get access to the trainee section of the forum mate. You can ask anything in there without fear of ridicule, most of the mods don't bite but be careful which one you ask:)

i have applied buddy. is it not yet open? i have sent a thread, got a link? and ill do it again :)

Yeah it's been open for a good while now. If you look in the stickys on general forum you'll see a thread started by Sintra (I think) Trainees Wanted. Have a read of it, it's probably just because the mods are busy with real life stuff that you're not in there but if you can see thread titles down near the bottom of the forum list you'll be able to get in.

I'd love to get in there to help you as well M8, but as yet no access

No problem buddy:) just appreciate all the experience you guys have:D. I only ask because i have got to this in Micc tomorrow and iv never touched the stuff, My dads a spark and he said after 20 years of experience he still hates it now aha,especially glanding. Is it used that much industrially ?

But i relish the challenge!

MICC is sadly a dying art, when given the time to work it properly it's joy to step back when it's all done and say "I did that"
It's also vastly superior in terms of lifespan to any other cabling system that I can think of

2c+e to ceiling rose from board , single brown to switch 1 com, 2c+eBetween switch 1 and 2 and single brown from com of switch 2 too switched live at ceiling rose is how I do it.

There's more than one way to skin a cat :)

Reply to 2 single pole switches to ceiling rose - college assignment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net