Discuss 2 way lighting circuit with 2 banks of spots in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lazza

:confused: Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can confirm what i already fear....I've been fault finding for a friend as i am part qualified. He has a 2 way lighting circuit in the kitchen controlling 2 banks of spots and some under counter lights.

The under counter lights are ok but the spots have all become inoperative, they are pre 17th edition and dont have their own individual transformers but appear to be wired back to a central point which is inaccessable from the ceiling.

I've tested the light switches and they are in good working order, i've tested the switch wires and have both continuity and correct voltage present but when i tested across the light fixtures there was no voltage present..

Do you think I'm gonna have to take up the above floor and perhaps replace the transformer or have i overlooked something obvious???

Comments greatly appreciated..

are they low voltage lights, if so probably will be the transformer? check the lampholders first.....if not....your gonna have to get to the jb unfortunately may be a loose connection!

:confused: Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can confirm what i already fear....I've been fault finding for a friend as i am part qualified. He has a 2 way lighting circuit in the kitchen controlling 2 banks of spots and some under counter lights.

The under counter lights are ok but the spots have all become inoperative, they are pre 17th edition and dont have their own individual transformers but appear to be wired back to a central point which is inaccessable from the ceiling.

I've tested the light switches and they are in good working order, i've tested the switch wires and have both continuity and correct voltage present but when i tested across the light fixtures there was no voltage present..

Do you think I'm gonna have to take up the above floor and perhaps replace the transformer or have i overlooked something obvious???

Comments greatly appreciated..

No i reckon that you will have to locate the transformer to test it for input and output.

It does sound that the transformer is faulty

I too would like to go down that route but I think my friend would like to go down a like for like replacement as there are 10 spots and times are tight.

Can't you drop the spots and try to locate the transformer.Might be a lot easier then ripping up the floor.Will the customer prepare to pay for separate transformers for each light.

yeh i would put them all on their own.....much easier as you can just drop them through the hole along with a small jb....make sure the transformer can handle all the lamps at max 50w if you putting a few on it.

already dropped all 10 of em and can't for the life of me find the transformer....there's an indication from where the cables feed back as to where the transformer is but i can't see it or gain access....the guy its for is facing redundancy within the month so wants to keep it as cheap as possible but will take on my recommendation that it would be wise to have individual transformers when things are better for him.

Looks like the floor has to come up then mate.Explain to the customer that each light should have it's own transformer,it will be a lot better in the long run and easier to find the fault in the future.

There is also the cost issue of supplying a replacement 12v 500va transformer as you could pay between £80 & £90 as opposed to about £3.50 for a single 12v 60va transformer.

I seem to remember a lot of the early 12v lighting systems only had one transformer.

They did and they were a real pain as you had to use larger csa cables for the higher current.

Just wondering why you don't ditch using a tranformer and install 230V GU10 fire-rated downlights instead ????

You still need to find where the feed is, etc. But now you can wire directly to each fitting. No transformers to worry about.

Piece of cake !!!!!

Cheaper too !!!!!!!

Try sticking your mobile phone through the holes in the ceiling and take some photo`s if your phone has flash. May help you to locate transformers.
If there are transformers then they are ELV not low voltage

Reply to 2 way lighting circuit with 2 banks of spots in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net