Discuss 2 way to Intermediate? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Flakey

Hi there,

I have 2 two way lights that i want to make into a 3 way arrangement.
1 of the 2 way switches is for the downstairs hall light and connects to a 2 way 2 gang switch at the other end of the hallway.
The other 2 way switch is upstairs and lights up the stair case and upstairs hallway. It is also connected the other gang of the 2 way 2 gang switch.
So the cabling is in for the 2 way 2 gang for me to replace with an intermediate switch.

Now the upstairs and downstairs light are on the same circuit but have their own feeds/switch lines to the 1 gang 2 way switches. Im not able to run a cable from the downstairs light to the upstairs light due to the decor flooring etc which would make all lights come on whatever the switch arrangement. Would i for example be able to use the cable in the upstairs switch disconnect the orignal feed core of the cable in the switch upstairs and connect the switch line into L2 for example to light that part of the the circuit simultaneously ( from the first switch downstairs) as the neutral is in the rose upstairs and ive tested for cross neutrals.
Let me know if this allowed if this would work or is there something im missing.
In a Straight forward circumstance where there is access then no problem.

if the feed out of the first light was going straight to the upstairs light then i would use that as my feed i.e feed to switch line across to upstairs light.

Hope its not too confusing or silly to propose!

cheers

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry im reading and cant understand myself lol.
I want the downstairs and upstairs light to be controlled from any of the switches i.e switch downstairs intermediate and switch upstairs. At the same time!

Yes derek that is correct but i want all mentioned lights to go on via any switch i.e downstairs light staircase and upstairs lights. I am not able to run a cable to the upstairs rose from the downstairs rose so that it becomes (in theory) 2 lights turned on from the same switch The up stairs switch is fed from the rose upstairs. my question is can i use just the switch line in core of the cable in the upstairs switch (L2) only and take out the feed core. As the switch downstairs has a feed to it already which will make the circuit. and as there is already a netural in the rose upstairs.

Im going to get a diagram going!

Providing they are all on the same circuit and there will be no resulting 'borrowed' neutrals, I would say there is likely to be enough cores at the switches to do what you propose - but would have to see it before being sure.

One thing is for sure:

I don't think a gardener should be attempting this kind of work - no matter how supportive of the environment he is....:smilewinkgrin:

Hope it makes sense thanks again guys!

P.S the feed out is not going directly from the first rose to the second rose just drawn in if it was then i would be sweet lol!

Attachments

• Wiring diagram.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 155
Hawkmoon I have no problem with wiring in normal curcumstances im trying to see if im breaking anything apart from good practice by doing this because id rather tell the customer it cant be done. Like i said i dont want to rip their house to bits as they have high end flooring and the decor is finished. Im just building my arsenal of knowledge and good practice!

Hawkmoon I have no problem with wiring in normal curcumstances im trying to see if im breaking anything apart from good practice by doing this because id rather tell the customer it cant be done. Like i said i dont want to rip their house to bits as they have high end flooring and the decor is finished. Im just building my arsenal of knowledge and good practice!

Wasn't actually being serious, just a Sunday morning mediocre attempt at humour :D

Can you get the two lamps in parallel? If you can't then you will have a problem with the lamps being in series as far as I can work out at this hour on a Sunday.

Any competent spark should be able to see on site weather this is possible or not. The fact you have a paying customer wanting this done and you are asking on here is scary stuff.

Any competent spark should be able to see on site weather this is possible or not. The fact you have a paying customer wanting this done and you are asking on here is scary stuff.

I don't know this guy's background but I have known a couple of sparks in my time who are competent and safe but just have trouble getting their head round unusual 2 way/inter circuits - not scary.

Oh and by the way - what has 'on site weather' got to do with it?? Even if there has been a lot of rain

Sorry - in silly mood this morning lol

if i read your diagram right, you want to feed the L into the switching arrangement to the left hand switch instead of the right hand switch. can;t see a problem. as long as it goes into L1.

Reply to 2 way to Intermediate? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net