Discuss 2365 2 year evenings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Damon4121

Hi,

Well today i had my assessment and interview at my college
Everything i had read on the college website is now wrong, as they updated the courses (obviously not the site grr)

I was lead to believe it was one year for the level two and one year or the level three. Now the teacher today told me level 2 2365 is 2 years and i have to study a further two years for the level three.

so level to is 2365 so that means the level three would be....??
To be honest i really didnt think i had to study for four years as i had plans after two (not anymore lol)
is there a faster way to gain level 3 other than the further 2 year study?

What exactly do you require to be a JIB qualified electrician.... is it just the level 2 and 3? or more

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The level 3 is 2365 too, just at a level 3 standard. After/during college you will need to get an nvq level 3 to be 'qualified', the 2365 is a technical certificate to show you understand the background knowledge, you'd need practical experience too to supplement this. I have just completed the 2365 level 2 in a year, but it is heavy going part time with 3 nights a week at college which is a big commitment. For me, the level 3 will take a further 2 years, at 2 evenings per week to complete which is a bit more manageable. Hope some of this makes sense and helps!

Hi and thanks for your reply. well i would i could do the level 2 in a year

The thing that confuses me a little is all i keep seeing is "level 2 and 3 alone will not qualify you"
around the web i have noticed people stating you need am2 and NVQ to be fully JIB but then i start thinking... level 2 and 3 are NVQs? :/

also they want you to get experience after level 2 whilst doing three or before hand but when i ask what can i work as with a level 2 im told maybe a mate. Is that sufficient experience for level 3

sorry i know this must have been asked a million times but the more reading i do on this the more confused i become ah such a newbie!

Hi and thanks for your reply. well i would i could do the level 2 in a year

The thing that confuses me a little is all i keep seeing is "level 2 and 3 alone will not qualify you"
around the web i have noticed people stating you need am2 and NVQ to be fully JIB but then i start thinking... level 2 and 3 are NVQs? :/

also they want you to get experience after level 2 whilst doing three or before hand but when i ask what can i work as with a level 2 im told maybe a mate. Is that sufficient experience for level 3

sorry i know this must have been asked a million times but the more reading i do on this the more confused i become ah such a newbie!

bassically you need lvl3 tech cert

and lvl3 nvq+am2 to become quafied.

sign up for jtl and give them a ring, your area training advisor will gladly offer you advice

bassically you need lvl3 tech cert

and lvl3 nvq+am2 to become quafied.

sign up for jtl and give them a ring, your area training advisor will gladly offer you advice

Whats am2?

• Form September 2012 you will need to gain the C&G 2365 Level 2 and C&G 2365 Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Buildings and Structures) in order to become an electrician.
In order to become a fully qualified electrician you will also need:

• 17th Edition of the Wiring Regulations BS 7671:2008 (Requirements of Electrical Installations - City & Guilds 2382-10 Level 3).
    The IEE Wiring Regulations are the British standard to which all commercial, domestic and industrial electrical installation works must comply. You can gain this qualification through your local college or any other course provider. Usually it is a short, four-five day course with an online assessment at the end.
    Feel free to read through our Guide for the 17th edition of the Wiring Regulations.
  • City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations (2391-10).
    In order to work on your own you will need to inspect, test and sign off your work. This qualification allows you to do just that. It is also a proof that you are a competent installer or tester, and are up to date with the national requirements for the industry (BS7671).
so after level 2 and 3 you can work as electrician but are not fully qualified? and cant sign off your work until you do 17th edition and cert in inspection..

Good evening Damon

The C&G 2365 diploma is structured at level 2 and then 3. You will need to attain the level 3 of whatever course you study.

You will also need to be assessed on site and produce a portfolio of the work that you do via either the C&G 2357 NVQ or EAL scheme.

To become 'JIB' qualified you will also have to do the AM2 simulated test.

There are no short cuts to become a fully recognized electrician.
Anybody that tells you that a 17th ed regs qualification with a couple of weeks Part P lessons is selling you 'snake oil'

Sounds depressing when you think you can buy a pair of spurs and a hat to keep the rain off of your head and get out there and 'dog in' a bit of T&E collecting spondoolies as you go.

To get the NVQ 3, which you must now have, is about as hard as passing a camel through the 'eye of a needle' (thats the small gate in the large entrance gate to a Southern Mediterranean/middle eastern town) unless you are aged between 16 - 24, in full time electrical work or very determined.

I would love to blow smoke up your posterior and say that if you have relevant comparable experience in IT, Electronics, BTEC, BEng, Gas, but unfortunately, that is not going to happen in this case.

As Shanky has already stated, contact JTL and see what they say.

The techniques are not that difficult to grasp but the 'lifestyle' is. - if you see what i mean.....

Good evening Damon

The C&G 2365 diploma is structured at level 2 and then 3. You will need to attain the level 3 of whatever course you study.

You will also need to be assessed on site and produce a portfolio of the work that you do via either the C&G 2357 NVQ or EAL scheme.

To become 'JIB' qualified you will also have to do the AM2 simulated test.

There are no short cuts to become a fully recognized electrician.
Anybody that tells you that a 17th ed regs qualification with a couple of weeks Part P lessons is selling you 'snake oil'

Sounds depressing when you think you can buy a pair of spurs and a hat to keep the rain off of your head and get out there and 'dog in' a bit of T&E collecting spondoolies as you go.

To get the NVQ 3, which you must now have, is about as hard as passing a camel through the 'eye of a needle' (thats the small gate in the large entrance gate to a Southern Mediterranean/middle eastern town) unless you are aged between 16 - 24, in full time electrical work or very determined.

I would love to blow smoke up your posterior and say that if you have relevant comparable experience in IT, Electronics, BTEC, BEng, Gas, but unfortunately, that is not going to happen in this case.

As Shanky has already stated, contact JTL and see what they say.

The techniques are not that difficult to grasp but the 'lifestyle' is. - if you see what i mean.....

the main problem is the qualifications are almost cryptic and if you get in with a good crowd everyone knows each other so you will get a lot of work of people you meet/friends on people you know.

i got my aprentaship by doing work experience for one of the guys mates and it kind of spiraled and i got offered the apprenticeship

haha well thanks for the responses even tho i have noticed the same question asked many times before.
I appreciate your patience.

I knew it wouldnt be easy and i have no idea if im capable but i have to be lol, again cheers

ah nice. I havnt got an apprenticeship but i am starting with a good company on the 13th. My cousin is a projects manager there so i was lucky enough to get in even with no experience. Tho the main boss said as im studying or starting to hes happy for me to start as a mate and learn (no apprenticeship tho)

ah nice. I havnt got an apprenticeship but i am starting with a good company on the 13th. My cousin is a projects manager there so i was lucky enough to get in even with no experience. Tho the main boss said as im studying or starting to hes happy for me to start as a mate and learn (no apprenticeship tho)

you dont really need an aprentaship to do the nvq though. reason im on an aprentaship is just for the funding really as i had 2330 lvl2+3 before i started it.

i could have payed to do the 2356 nvq and be done with it but i didnt want to pay a lot of money and then am2 ontop

you dont really need an aprentaship to do the nvq though. reason im on an aprentaship is just for the funding really as i had 2330 lvl2+3 before i started it.

i could have payed to do the 2356 nvq and be done with it but i didnt want to pay a lot of money and then am2 ontop

Ah ok hmm il have to look into everything properly then argh! Haha
Decisions decisions

The time the level 2 takes seems to depend how you do it - I did the old version which took 2 years on day release one day a week, then another year for the level 3, so 3 years in total, but I've heard of people doing the level 2 in one year, then another year for the level 3, so 2 years in total.

Once you have the technical certificate (the level 2 and 3), you can do the NVQ3, which is the onsite diary.
If you're working for a company it would be worth getting hold of the syllabus for the NVQ3 and taking pictures of your work which should save time when you come to complete the diary.

Reply to 2365 2 year evenings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net