Discuss 2394/2395 C & G and EAL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've done the 2391-52 and to me it made sense to do it all in one for cost and outcome. There are different exams and practicals but you do them sequentially at the end of the course.
Going to be controversial, I think one of the reasons for so many courses on the same subject, apart from the maney making side, is the onset of the fast track Electrician/DIs (Oh and before you start on me I realise that this is the norn nowadays OK) lack of experience, is the issue, especially, when all you're experience comes from working in a clean environment, installations clipped to a sheet of plywood, and carry out a few simple tests, jobs a good one, next candidate please, don't think it's right, but thats just me.

To my mind, as initial verification is a requirement of BS7671 for any new work or addition/alteration to an existing installation, this should be taught as part of the core electrical qualification.
There should be no need for an additional qualification.
Conducting periodic inspections on existing installations is another matter entirely.
Some think there is no difference as all inspections should be conducted to the current Regulations.
However the fact is, that with initial verification, the inspection is to ensure the installation complies with whichever edition of the Regulations the installation was designed to.
With periodic inspections, the inspection is to ensure the installation is safe for further use.
Non-compliances should only be an issue if the present a danger.

True words spoken spinlondon. Just to let you know, C&G now have a version of the 2394(2391-50)as one of the unit opinions of the apprenticeship

Pete 999 i can agree with some of your comments on the qualification and when i applied to the college i was attending i applied for the city and guilds certification in initial verification and testing but was told by my tutor that it has been replaced by the college to the EAL level 3 course. I was well respected by my tutors and was told that the reason it has been replaced is that the city and guilds certification had a high failure rate on the exam and that the college does not want it reflecting there success results so they switched over to the EAL version. It was due to the long wait between the theory exam and the practical exam on the C&G up to 3 months in some cases i was told but the EAL qualification which is still recognised as the same level you sit the theory exam and then in my case 1 week later i was doing the practical examination to complete the qualification. This being said i still think those who hold the C&G qualification are more recognised and fair play to them.

I th
Pete 999 i can agree with some of your comments on the qualification and when i applied to the college i was attending i applied for the city and guilds certification in initial verification and testing but was told by my tutor that it has been replaced by the college to the EAL level 3 course. I was well respected by my tutors and was told that the reason it has been replaced is that the city and guilds certification had a high failure rate on the exam and that the college does not want it reflecting there success results so they switched over to the EAL version. It was due to the long wait between the theory exam and the practical exam on the C&G up to 3 months in some cases i was told but the EAL qualification which is still recognised as the same level you sit the theory exam and then in my case 1 week later i was doing the practical examination to complete the qualification. This being said i still think those who hold the C&G qualification are more recognised and fair play to them.
Think your reply, only goes to reinforce my thoughts, the easier the course is to pass, reflect favorably on the training provider, you said it in the first few lines of your post. To some extent I agree with HMc as well the cheaper it is to run, aligned with a better pass rate equals loads mor dosh for the training providers, ought to be stopped, and Policed better, in my opinion, anyway good luck whatever your choice.

Reply to 2394/2395 C & G and EAL in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net