Discuss 240v twin capaitor motor wiring? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dany

Hi.i purchased a motor for my metal buffing machine.Its now anti-clockwise wired..but on the diagram..it only shows where one cap should go.its fitted with two.one slightly larger than othercan only read markings on one...Its a western electric brand.tried contacting them direct for help to no avail...Started motor with the smaller cap fitted and was great-perfect speed for polishing but after 3 starts its now slow turning.no drama or smoke..only leaving it on for afew seconds.enough to see its not getting any faster.. incase i blow a fuse or frazzle the motor. (I have a compressor which behaves the same sometimes on start up with full air receiver)Any diagrams would be great.(Im not a sparky so simple is best :) )

It's possible they've used 2 capacitors that must be wired in parallel to act as a single large capacitance. Depends on the motor though so your best bet is to get clarification from the supplier before you cause permanent damage to it by incorrect configuration or wiring.

I tried to contact them in Oz an USA but they take a week to reply an the another week to reply to my reply an so on...
Its unusual the motor diagram shows only one cap..but is fitted with two.its comon or uncomon for two caps to be fitted in parallel?..certainly would explain their diagram.These would be start only caps?

A photo of the connections would help

I've seen it a few times with larger single phase motors (2.2kW - 4kW) where they've used two capacitors paralleled together to act as one big one. It very much depends on the motor, what is the wiring arrangement ie is it CSR, CSCR etc? As Tel suggests some pictures of the circuit and the motor might help.

ladarear121 144.jpgBlue an brown wires on bottom of pic are cap wires fitted here on (blue ) 02/z2 and brown 01 terminal shown on sticker in motor(sticker pic below.. pic is upside down.)

too blurred to make it out. try again. preferably full on square.

Can you post a better photo of the wiring diagram? I'm sure you can get on that's in focus even with your phone.

have a couple of JDs first stop the DTs.

Afraid not boys..its probably best it will take..iPhone junk an its a chrome foilladarear121 150.jpg sticker to make matters worse lol.heres a few more..(too early for J.D will do later though ;)

ladarear121 147A.JPGMaybe easier to read now...just...:)***Sorry.'Z 2' in centre should read 'Z 1 ' ****

Last edited by a moderator:
From the diagram there's a pretty good chance both the capacitors should be in parallel. If both capacitors are identical ie same uF rating, same type and same discharge voltage then there's an even better chance. It's not definite though, clarification from the manufacturer or supplier would still be the safest.

Thanks Marvo.ill keep at the emails to them.Both caps are different size( physical) but ratings only visible on one..

To cap the thread off(pun intended) Ive fitted both caps on the same terminals and motor is now working perfect.Thanks very much for the help :)

Reply to 240v twin capaitor motor wiring? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net