Discuss 3 Nests, Boiler, Megaflo and UFH - wiring assistance in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm doing a refurb of my house and as part of that all of the old plumbing and electrics have been replaced (by their respective tradesmen).

In the new world order the downstairs heating is run off a 9 port polypipe ufh heating manifold and a new system boiler and megaflo have been placed in the loft.

The boiler and the megaflo each have their own dedicated radial circuits (and FCU's) running back to the consumer unit.
The ufh manifold is in a utility room which has it's own ring circuit and a FCU to power the pump and wiring centre.
The consumer unit is a Hager one populated with rcbo's.

When the heating engineer came to install the 3 nests (to control separate zones on the ufh and the water) we ran into issues.

Running the nests to control the manifold, pump, actuators, and the wiring centre downstairs all seemed to work fine.

The loft has it's own wiring centre for the boiler and megaflo (S plan circuit). Which also appears to work fine independently.

When connecting the 2 systems together - that's when the issues started.
When the connection to either the heating or water was triggered (from the nest) the rcbo's for both the utility room ring and the boiler would trip.

Initially he thought the cable between the loft and utility room might be the cause, but that was eliminated.
Ultimately he was unable to diagnose what the issue was on the day and is coming back this week to fix it.

I noticed that a neutral cable on one of the double sockets on the utility room ring was loose - could this have contributed to the rcbo's tripping when a heating or hot water call was made to the boiler?

It's also been suggested that the wiring centre in the loft and the one for the ufh manifold downstairs need to be powered by the same connection otherwise they will keep on tripping - does anyone know if this is correct and the way the system should be wired?

Thanks for your help

Because the different systems are on different circuits, when they become interconnected, there will be an imbalance in the line and neutral that the RCBOs are picking up on resulting in the tripping.

The entire heating system should be run as a single circuit (that doesn't mean one long radial circuit necessarily, but all powered from the same protective device).

Thanks - very much appreciated.

The boiler is currently on a 16A rcbo.
Do you think I will need to get the sparky back to swap if for a 20A one if adding the ufh manifold onto the same radial?

Totally incorrect...all the heating controls should be fed from the load side of one switched fused spur. What you have is completely wrong and probably a major ball ache to put right.
As far as I can tell there are 2 x 3 core and earth (1mm) running from the wiring centre in the loft to the wiring centre by the ufh heating manifold. I assumed (incorrectly?) that this was to be used for control rather than control and power to the manifold/pump downstairs?

The one saving grace is that if it is wrong it's still possible to get a cable from the loft to the utility room if required.

Yes, builder provided plumber and electrician. Neither knew how to get multiple Nest thermostats wired into this system, so I got a Nest installer from their site.
When the heating engineer came to install the 3 nests (to control separate zones on the ufh and the water) we ran into issues.
IS IS THE NEST INSTALLER ?

Last edited:
Wonder why the boiler is on a 16A RCBO?
I can't tell you why it's on a 16A RCBO, but I do know it's on it's own 2.5mm radial circuit, as is the Megaflo and there's also a MVHR on it's own radial.

The house was built in the 40's and the whole thing was on 3 rings - which were flakey at best.

As there are only 3 original walls left I took the opportunity to get them to rip out everything and start again. I have a 28 way consumer unit with everything much more granular - each room practically has its own ring now. It's massive overkill, but I have quite a bit of computer equipment which I didn't want other things in the house taking out if something tripped.

take no notice of Buzz. he's from another planet, deep inside the Romulan Empire.

All you need is a nest thermostat and a heat link for each zone. The Heat link will control the valve for each zone which in turns switches the boiler. Or in your case the heatlink controls the actuator or thermostat terminals on the UFH wiring centre which in turn switches the valve which switches the boiler.

All you need is a nest thermostat and a heat link for each zone. The Heat link will control the valve for each zone which in turns switches the boiler. Or in your case the heatlink controls the actuator or thermostat terminals on the UFH wiring centre which in turn switches the valve which switches the boiler.
The Nest heating engineer wired up the nests to control the ufh heating zones and that all appears to work as expected (nest 1 opens 4 actuators, nest 2 opens the next 2 etc). His issue arose when trying to switch on the boiler from the ufh wiring centre. I shall double check with him today that he's all good for the weekend and that he's confident everything will be wired correctly (and work as expected).

Reply to 3 Nests, Boiler, Megaflo and UFH - wiring assistance in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net