Discuss 3-pin to 3-pin adapter safe? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping someone can shed some light on this, i have purchased a surge protector and it will not fit the power cables i plan on using.

I have purchased a Vietnam surger protector seen here and i have bought a new pc monitor which appears to have an Australian style plug. I'm hoping i can use a 3-pin to 3-pin plug adapter to resolve this but i'm wondering if the adapter i buy will still offer earthing proctection and not overheat or become unsafe.

I was thinking of a plug 3-0pin to 3-pin adapter like this one so i can still have grounding, i'm located in the Philippines. The PC i'm buying will have the same ac power cable plug, the monitor and PC probably are worth around 2,000 usd so perhaps its better to cut my losses and just buy the correct surge protector..?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Steve

Those travel adapters with the multi-socket feature have a dubious reputation, including sometimes for no earth continuity. I'm not familiar with that particular one. If you buy one, I suggest you check the the male earth pin is actually connected to the earth socket you will be using.
If your monitor cable unplugs at the monitor end, you might be better off obtaining a replacement cable with the correct connectors both ends. If you are saying your other equipment also has the "Australian" plugs, I agree it might be better to cut your losses and use a different socket strip with the appropriate sockets!

Last edited:
Agree with the above. Those cheap adaptors are very shoddy and unreliable at best, and somewhat dangerous at worst. The UK version pictured in your link, for example, is not compliant with UK standards and might fail to make an earth connection (I appreciate it's not that version you need.) Whenever I see such things I always chuck them in the trash, if someone complains I tell them I just did them a favour,

If you need any more persuasion to avoid them, I would say that the most likely consequence of connecting your PC via a nasty plug adaptor is that due to unreliable contact it makes it much more likely to glitch and crash while you are working.

Echoing @Avo Mk8 I wonder whether the equipment has detachable power cords that could be changed for ones to suit the surge protector outlets

Reply to 3-pin to 3-pin adapter safe? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net