Discuss 3 pole dol starter with overload for a sp motor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Google will help I'm sure although why you want a 3pole starter confuses me a bit

DOL.png

looks ok here the neutral goes through the contactor and overload twice and the line goes through once (could have put the line thro twice and the neutral once as long as all the 3 overloads are used) only thing missing is stop switch (some use the push switch on the overload)

Attachments

• DOL.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:
I've got you on that dude, but it's the neutral side of the coil that goes to the start button, I understand this on ELV and such but haven't seen it done on 230v, maybe it's just me and my sheltered life so far though!!

I've got you on that dude, but it's the neutral side of the coil that goes to the start button, I understand this on ELV and such but haven't seen it done on 230v, maybe it's just me and my sheltered life so far though!!

Didnt realy notice the contol side switch was in neutral Not the way I would have done it but theres more than one way to skin a cat I suppose.

Yes it is the neutral side, which is the way I was taught that it is done at college. I questioned it then but I cannot remember the exact explanation I got.

Control gear falls under different regulations, had this had 2+ actuators in the control then it would be subject to running through an isolating TX which don't always have a grounded side, it makes little difference tbh whether its L or N that is run through the push-button as its all contained within one enclosure although if remote operation was used it would be the L that is preferred. This can be misleading for those not experienced in control circuits as it can show floating voltages from the coil without pulling in the contactor in, this is one of many reasons why you shouldn't dabble in such systems if you are not aware of the regulations that they fall under.
Its simple to buy these ready to connect DOL kits but knowing if you're complying to the many regulations that cover them is a very different thing and I see breaches on a weekly bases but as for this post its a simple solution as shown, although I would prefer the L to be the switching control as the mains N is grounded in this case.

Last edited:
Control gear falls under different regulations, had this had 2+ actuators in the control then it would be subject to running through an isolating TX which don't always have a grounded side, it makes little difference tbh whether its L or N that is run through the push-button as its all contained within one enclosure although if remote operation was used it would be the L that is preferred. This can be misleading for those not experienced in control circuits as it can show floating voltages from the coil without pulling in the contactor in, this is one of many reasons why you shouldn't dabble in such systems if you are not aware of the regulations that they fall under.
Its simple to buy these ready to connect DOL kits but knowing if you're complying to the many regulations that cover them is a very different thing and I see breaches on a weekly bases but as for this post its a simple solution as shown, although I would prefer the L to be the switching control as the mains N is grounded in this case.
I studied motor control at Huddersfield college and they never said that if your not aware of the regulations you shouldn't work on them, as far as i'm aware a change in regulations wont change the physics of the job.

I studied motor control at Huddersfield college and they never said that if your not aware of the regulations you shouldn't work on them, as far as i'm aware a change in regulations wont change the physics of the job.

If you were doing a standard Electrical course based on the 7671 then you were given a briefing of a basic DOL and possibly Star/Delta starting layouts, this is because it is briefly touched on in the BS7671 and even as an electrician you may come across these on say a roller shutter or a pump etc in your normal working environment, its just to give you a heads up so you at least know what you are looking at. When it comes to designing and installing these systems (I don't mean buying a ready made DOL starter for a motor without any other additional options/controls) then simply adding a few limits or E-stops changes the regulations that cover such set-ups and can make a compliant system, non-compliant.
Like I said, I honestly see this on a weekly basis where Electricians have dabbled with this stuff, made something that is lets say funtional but fall far short of the regulations that govern them, mainly the EU LV Directive.
IMHO I belief that courses teaching this stuff should either remove it from the coursework or make it a full subject and course on its own merit, its like anything, having a little knowledge is sometimes worse than non at all.

Last edited:

Reply to 3 pole dol starter with overload for a sp motor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net