Discuss 3 Storey house. 2 Way + Intermediate switching. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nic Norwood

Hi, this post is similar to the "3 Gang switch Question" in some ways.

Basically I want to control 4 lights from different locations in a new installation.
  1. Outdoor porch light (On ground floor controlled from 1 location)
  2. Ground floor hallway light (Controlled from 1 Possibly 2 locations on Ground floor (each end of the hallway), and 1st floor landing)
  3. 1st floor hallway light (controlled from ground floor, 1st floor and 2nd floor)
  4. 2nd floor hallway light (controlled from 1st floor and 2nd floor)
So far I have basic 1 way switching on Porch light and 2 way conversion method on 2nd floor hallway light.

I assume that for the other two lights I will be using intermediate switches, but am unsure how to go about this as using T&E I would have neutrals in the switches with nothing to connect them to?

1st post, be gentle ;)

Well this was the part that threw me. I understand the concept of intermediate switching, it's the application that I can't visualise. If I were to use the 3 plate method then I would have to drop a switch wire down which brings the feed wire and switched live. Or if I ran the feed to the switches then the light I'd have the same problem.

I'm probably just missing something really simple here. =\

If you are installing from scratch, then take your supply cable to the pendant, and drop a switch cable down as you would for 1 way switching. The run a 3 core from switch 1 to 2, 2 to 3. switch 1 will be a 2 way switch, 2 will be an intermediate switch, 3 will be a 2 way switch. At switch one connect switch cable to L2 and L3, connect 3 core brown to L1, blue to L2 and grey to L3. At intermediate there are 4 terminal, wire it up so you cross connect the grey and black strappers, joint the 2 browns together in a wago or similar, at switch 3 connect brown to L1, blue to L2 grey to L3. Job done. If you then want to extend and put in more switches you can by fitting more intermediates and doing as above, but make sure your last switch is connected as i describe for switch 3.

Cheers..........Howard

Fitting Intermediates is the easy bit, regardless of which 'two-way' method you use.
Either way, the Intermediate just 'breaks' the strappers.

On your conversion method, you'll have the 'common' cable in a 'connector block' in the switch - keeping it continuous.
On the traditional method, there isn't a 'common' link, so just the strappers.

See it was the connecor block in the switch that was throwing me as I've read so many posts about it being "bad Practice".

Cheers for the help every one (Y)

HI Mate
then why not use wagos or helicons in the switch no live parts showing unlike a connector

But I dont have a problem with taking loops to switches works wonders for porch lights and wall lights etc nothing wrong with it and also makes connecting the roses a lot easier and quicker lol 1 T/E and as long as the back box at the switch is deep enough no probs

Reply to 3 Storey house. 2 Way + Intermediate switching. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net