Discuss 3-way dimmer switch problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I tried installing a dimmer to a 3-way circuit. The dimmer has a hard switch and a dimming slide. After installing and turning the power back on, both the dimmer switch and the other (non-dimming) switch were able to operate the lights. I moved the dial to get optimal dimming at the lowest setting. However after a few more tests, neither switch could consistently turn the lights back on again after turning off. Out of 10 attempts turning them on and off again, they would fail to turn on about 2-3 times, sometimes twice in a row. They would always turn on eventually but would require toggling.

I think the problem happened most consistently when the dimmer was turned all the way down, but I can't say for certain.

I tried switching the two travel wires in case that was the problem, but it did not change anything.

I read that the switch has to be compatible with the maximum wattage of the lamps. I checked the bulbs and determined they are all 9 watt LEDs, but I did not check the lamps themselves, so maybe the problem is that the maximum possible wattage of the lamps exceeds the maximum wattage of the dimmer. I had assumed the maximum wattage of the lamps didn't matter, only the wattage of the bulbs themselves.

I have also read that LEDs don't always work as well with dimmers as incandescent bulbs. Are there LEDs designed for dimming? The ones I have installed definitely dimmed. That wasn't the problem. The problem was that the toggle switch didn't always work (at either terminal).

Finally, I read that problems with a dimmer switch may occur because the switch is overloaded. I am most definitely an amateur at this, so I figured better safe than sorry and replaced the non-dimming switch that was originally in the wall.

Can anyone help me diagnose this problem?

Install one standard incandescent light bulb in one of the fittings being dimmed. Go for a low wattage less than 60w
see if the problem goes away.

Hi. There are LED bulbs that can be dimmed but it should state so in the box.

Some standard cheap ones do dim by lowering the voltage but if you turn them off then on again the voltage that's being sent by the dimmer will be too low for them to light up again if they're rated for 230V mains only. Input voltage should be written on the bulbs.

Problem with LED lights is that dimmers can only control the AC side while the LEDs are DC, it can be done but it's tricky and often expensive, not like dimming incandescent bulbs that are simply a piece of wire that heats up and emits light.
Electronic LED dimmers have to be compatible with the bulbs you're using.
he maximum possible wattage of the lamps exceeds the maximum wattage of the dimmer
Which is...?
Some info could help here, like what kind of dimmer you're using, what bulbs, how is the dimmer wired...

Another problem is that some dimmers require a minimum wattage to work.

Reply to 3-way dimmer switch problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net