Discuss 3 way sockets for electrical plugs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Probably not a good idea to use the mcb as an on/off switch on a regular basis.

I disagree slightly Kev. A dedicated DP switch would be a better solution, and I presume you are hinting that a 60898 (or similar) is likely not designed nor tested for constant repetitive switching. But as far as I am aware, without the BYB to hand, a MCB can be used for switching purposes.

So I slightly agree and slightly disagree with both Kev and Dave! Moi, a fence sitter? !!

So I slightly agree and slightly disagree with both Kev and Dave! Moi, a fence sitter? !!
Sometimes the best place to be, perched on the fence!
A garage owner was using the mcb to operate a compressor for a while, in the end the mcb felt mechanically slack and sometimes would not stay on.....so the mcb had to be replaced and told them to use the isolator that was already there!

I wasn't suggesting under load, only to remove the 'standby' power consumption from appliances that were standing by. :) But anyway whatever method it's a lot of faff for negligible gain.

A saving of only 10W for 11 hours a day, every day, saves 40kWh a year. Ok not a bank breaker but not negligible either.
I agree it isn’t practical to switch off appliances with clocks, and this now includes TV sets with built in recorders, (if you use your TV to record). AV amps and sound bars have quite significant standby wattages (well the ones I’ve measured have.) For convenience sake I use a cheap remote radio switch to kill power to a couple of different sockets, ( they don’t remember the remote if there’s a power cut, but that’s very rare).
On a slightly irrelevant note my Panasonic microwave has a stupidly low power factor, VA were about 10 x W! I wonder if anyone else has measured theirs, I tried 2 different meters but not tried a fluke yet.

Last edited:
With the current interest in home auto mation and saving electricity, their may be a market for it. But you need to do your home work and be sure that the money spent implimenting the system is justified by the savings made. You would need to change the switchs and possiblly provide a second "master" circuit, which is not insignificant.

Agreed, that’s why I think the radio controlled plug-in sockets is a good solution and it’s flexible, you can move the sockets around as things change.

Just install wireless controlled sockets that you turn on or off remotely, with the savings you make you should get your money back in about 10 years.

Energenie MiHome 13A 2-Gang SP Switched Socket Brushed Steel - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/energenie-mihome-13a-2-gang-sp-switched-socket-brushed-steel/9856H?kpid=9856H&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9vPBRCQARIsABAIQYcrEj00GgQt2fU_vHTuA-56TsdjYxpWa3wLIooQYTmgXzIXR4iYiqEaAoB5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNuR6MP-l9cCFceKdwodXrEF1g

Reply to 3 way sockets for electrical plugs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net