Discuss 3 wireless networks in one house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think your right on 3 phones per line the safest option it to run separate cables to each point but like I said if you cant run separate cables then by using the cat 5 you can use the blue pair for point 1 the ,orange pair for point 2, green pair for point 3 and brown pair for point 4 , you will need 2 pairs for a master phone point though

Why would you wire 4 points on separate pairs down one cat5 also why 2 pairs for a master

I do these systems all the time and it's interesting to see the different approaches to achieve the customer requirement.

this is how I would do it.

Route a cat5e cable from each room where a hard wired internet connection is specified back to the main cupboard or termination point, ideally where the other services in the home are located.

Route a cat5e cable to where each of the 3 wireless access points will be located, these are best located fixed to the ceiling and some very discrete access points are available that blend in nicely but give great coverage.

this will mean you end up with a bunch of cat5e cables in one location star wired to each room and the 3 access points.

the customer will provide the modem/router and you will either need to terminate the cat5e into a patched panel or just stick an rj45 connector on the end. Either way each cable will need to be connects to a switch and these are inexpensive. A 24 way switch should suffice in this case. You then connect one Ethernet cable from the router to the switch and this produces the local area network...it's easy if you avoid all the terms involved as it guys love to abbreviate stuff and make it sound more difficult than it is!

Terminate the other end of each cable into an rj45 faceplate or module and stick an rj45 connector where the 3 access points will be located.

from experience you are taking a massive gamble if you use wifi range extenders as they are subject to a single point of failure and can be very unstable/prone to interference. If you hard wire an access point it will be very stable and give you no issues.

are you configuring the access points too?

hope I've helped but feel free to ask anything you need, if you need a part list and diagram just give me a nudge.

Why would you wire 4 points on separate pairs down one cat5 also why 2 pairs for a master
So you can but them on separate lines if required and I thought you need a 3rd wire on a master point for the phone ringer to work or was that an 90s things(hence to 2 pairs)

So you can but them on separate lines if required and I thought you need a 3rd wire on a master point for the phone ringer to work or was that an 90s things(hence to 2 pairs)

The ringing wire became surplus to requirements when they introduced the digital exchanges in the 80's and early 90's. This has been covered in numerous threads and posts mainly relating to broadband speed problems caused by interference having the ringing / bell wire connected

The ringing wire became surplus to requirements when they introduced the digital exchanges in the 80's and early 90's. This has been covered in numerous threads and posts mainly relating to broadband speed problems caused by interference having the ringing / bell wire connected
Shows how long it is since I fitted a telephone line and thanks for correcting me :)

I do these systems all the time and it's interesting to see the different approaches to achieve the customer requirement.

this is how I would do it.

Route a cat5e cable from each room where a hard wired internet connection is specified back to the main cupboard or termination point, ideally where the other services in the home are located.

Route a cat5e cable to where each of the 3 wireless access points will be located, these are best located fixed to the ceiling and some very discrete access points are available that blend in nicely but give great coverage.

this will mean you end up with a bunch of cat5e cables in one location star wired to each room and the 3 access points.

the customer will provide the modem/router and you will either need to terminate the cat5e into a patched panel or just stick an rj45 connector on the end. Either way each cable will need to be connects to a switch and these are inexpensive. A 24 way switch should suffice in this case. You then connect one Ethernet cable from the router to the switch and this produces the local area network...it's easy if you avoid all the terms involved as it guys love to abbreviate stuff and make it sound more difficult than it is!

Terminate the other end of each cable into an rj45 faceplate or module and stick an rj45 connector where the 3 access points will be located.

from experience you are taking a massive gamble if you use wifi range extenders as they are subject to a single point of failure and can be very unstable/prone to interference. If you hard wire an access point it will be very stable and give you no issues.

are you configuring the access points too?

hope I've helped but feel free to ask anything you need, if you need a part list and diagram just give me a nudge.

The above approach is 100% correct. One thing more to think about is power to the acces points. A half decent Access point will be able to make use of POE ( power over ethernet ) where the power supplies for the access points are co-located nest to the switch. that way no power cables to run.

we use these AP-5131 Wireless Access Point

a bit expensive though.

Reply to 3 wireless networks in one house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net