Discuss 32a three phase isolator neutral bar? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Your description is a bit non specific. Can you show a pic or state a specific isolator.

I'd like a view of it before commenting, too.
Although, it seems like a switch that can accommodate different supplies...as most 3 phase switches do.
ie, some machines don't require a neutral......but then again WTF is it feeding?

We also often see a 4 pole isolator that has a neutral and earth bar internally as well. It's just to acommodate different wiring options with switched or unswitched neutrals as far as I know.

We also often see a 4 pole isolator that has a neutral and earth bar internally as well. It's just to acommodate different wiring options with switched or unswitched neutrals as far as I know.
Reminds me of one job where we used a 4 pole isolator for a large motor. 3 poles for the motor and the 4th for the cooling fan, with the fan neutral unswitched.

3PhaseIsolator.jpg

Hey i took a picture.

The supply eventually came into L1 L2 and L3, and the N on the right hand side of the device. But there's still the metal N bar on the right. Just wondering at what configuration you would put the neutral in there instead of into the switch.

They are feeding welding machines.

As above, looks like a standard enclosure that the manufacturer could use for everything from single to six-pole isolators. Yours clearly started life as a 3-pole, with the 4th tacked on. I can think of at least 3 scenarios where your neutral would not go through that pole, from isolator feedback to forced air cooling to switching the armature and field of a DC motor. I think you might be getting a bit hung up on this 'extra unneeded neutral bar'. It likely adds about 10p to the cost of the isolator, so use it or don't as appropriate.

As above, looks like a standard enclosure that the manufacturer could use for everything from single to six-pole isolators. Yours clearly started life as a 3-pole, with the 4th tacked on. I can think of at least 3 scenarios where your neutral would not go through that pole, from isolator feedback to forced air cooling to switching the armature and field of a DC motor. I think you might be getting a bit hung up on this 'extra unneeded neutral bar'. It likely adds about 10p to the cost of the isolator, so use it or don't as appropriate.
I'm a trainee so was just wondering why it was there.

As it's for a trainee I'll just add that if it's a Neutral contact will be early make / late break compared to the L1, L2, L3 contacts.
But I'll leave them to find out the importance of that.

Last edited:
Even magnified it doesn't appear to have a marking on the 4th contact, jut the arrow in the plastic case.
From the style (plastic screws) it looks to be a Europa, which also appears very similar to older Klockner style disconnectors.
There's space on the left side for another contact so it may be that the 4th contact is auxiliary and could have a 5th.
The 4th contact will have details on the side.

Last edited:
Even magnified it doesn't appear to have a marking on the 4th contact, jut the arrow in the plastic case.
From the style (plastic screws) it looks to be a Europa, which also appears very similar to older Klockner style disconnectors.
There's space on the left side for another contact so it may be that the 4th contact is auxiliary and could have a 5th.The 4th contact will have details on the side.
32A 4 Pole Surface Mount Isolator IP65 - https://www.yesss.co.uk/32a-4pole-surface-mount-isolator-ip65 It's one of those. We're basically using them as an emergency stop.

No it's just bare. The guys i am working with said it was the N though. Incidentally we were hooking up machines with no neutral anyway.

It's an 'Eris Industrial' 32a/20a from Yesss.
Strictly speaking the neutral is the separate terminal on the enclosure. The fourth switch terminal I would consider an auxiliary as it is not marked for a specific purpose and can be used for several things.

Strictly speaking the neutral is the separate terminal on the enclosure. The fourth switch terminal I would consider an auxiliary as it is not marked for a specific purpose and can be used for several things.
Is there any advantage/disadvantage to the way we've done it? The machinery we're hooking up doesn't use neutral so it's not used anyway.

Reply to 32a three phase isolator neutral bar? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net