Discuss 3rd party testing + New scheme registration in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok time for my 2 pence worth I think !
I am a self-employed spark and have been in the business for 28 years.
About 4 years ago I was asked to help my brother in-law move in to his new housing association house which was wired by one of the major firms up here.
When we plugged in the kitchen appliances we discovered there was no power in part of the ring main. We contacted them and a spark arrived his idea was to run an extension from the part of the ring that was working to tide them over until morning when they would check it out.
I should say I did not mention to them I was a spark too. But I did point out I would not be happy to have my nephew and nieces staying there with a fault incase it was a fire hazard. We left him with a key and left as we drove off we noticed we had left an upstairs light on and went back to find the spark pulling a taped up connector block out of the wall and he claimed he had fixed the fault ! Still not letting on I know anything I asked if its a ring main did it not mean there was two breaks in the ring before some of it had no power ? To which he replied ummm maybe he thought as I drew a circle to prove my point and he then agreed. So we left it at that and he would return in the morning for more investigation.
Next day when we got there the spark had already been and left so I checked he had made it in to two radial circuits and fused them at 20A each. Not a problem I hear you say but on one 20A there was a double socket in the passage and a double socket in the lounge. On the other 20A was the rest of the downstairs including all of the kitchen !
I phoned and got the sparky back and the inspector from the housing association and proceeded to question his actions in what he had done and I asked how my brother in-law could possibly have had to sign for a house in perfect condition and there were these faults.
I was at that point I was asked what I knew about it anyway ? And there you have it I explained I had been a spark for over 20 years and obviously knew more than them and said I wanted to see the completion certificate for the wiring because who ever had signed it had done so unlawfully.
Wow the panic in their faces none of the 24 houses just handed out had been tested and no certificates.
It's not always the small guy that is wrong that was a major company flaunting the law but thankfully they are no longer trading.
Sorry it was longer than I thought.
Take care stay safe and don't cut corners you never know who is watching.

I'm not CPS registered but I can see it's going to be a bullet that I'll have to bite soon. Even if the rules allowed me to sign off others work I'd refuse to do so, by signing that bit of paper I'd be saying that everything in that installation was hunky dory and unless I was involved with it every step of the way I'd have no way of knowing that.

council did a PIR on my house well a subbie who worked for main contractor who worked for council lol

anyway the first one came last year a young lad stuck his tester in the socket, me mrs said as i wasnt there and told her was here to do a PIR, my mrs said to him dont mention PIRs to me as my fella has been doing all this for last few years and has got the 2391
At which point he stated he jsut had to go somewhere we never saw him again

she rang council and asked when he was coming back lol
they said they would sort it
Nothing then this year we got a letter stating a PIR needed doing again she rang and again nothing
then last week the council rang her mobile saying they needed to gain entry to carry out a safety test
and that we had refused entry to there tradesman and they could leagally gain entry to property on the grounds of safety

which she corrected them

then the subbie came seemed a sound guy he told me they have to do 4 a day
I noticed he did no continuity , no IR
so i asked do you have loads of limitations etc
he said yes only live tests
basically Ze, pfc ZS at 2 sockets 1 up 1 down and check polarity at others only by using the correct polarity symbols of the tester when doing Zs
and RCD tests
if thats all you have to do then i could do 8 a day lol

and there is no way on gods earth after everything i have done and paid for that i will sign someone elses work when i have had to jump through hoops to get here

I'm not CPS registered but I can see it's going to be a bullet that I'll have to bite soon. Even if the rules allowed me to sign off others work I'd refuse to do so, by signing that bit of paper I'd be saying that everything in that installation was hunky dory and unless I was involved with it every step of the way I'd have no way of knowing that.

Which I think sums the whole issue up. Those who work safely and professionaly to a high standard will continue to do so. Those who haven't up to now won't suddenly start. QED, business as usual IMHO.

Exactly. My signature is for my business. What a boring waste of time...watching or inspecting other people's work. How long before pricing comes in for it ?
Can see it getting cut throat, just like some with EICR's.

How the hell can some do a PIR and not do a IR check at least at the tails. I mean it is utterly worthless. If the house burns down the immediately after you leave and you have put a satisfactory down is any amount of LIMs going to save you. I think not; if you do this you are out on a limb.

not read all posts as usuall, i think if this is introduced all my cetts will have to state that i have done minimul checks required but cannot garuntee this installation safe as not installed it

Reply to 3rd party testing + New scheme registration in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net