Search the forum,

Discuss 3way 2 gang wiring help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

shaz27

DIY
Reaction score
help please made a really stupid mistake and can’t figure it out ,
i have a 2 gang light switch at the bottom of the stairs this controls upstairs and downstairs stairs light also downstairs is a 1 gang 2 way switch, upstairs there is a 2 gang switch that controls upstairs light plus bathroom,
the light switch broke at the bottom so i tried to change it but didn’t take note like ? now i’m knackered
it has 8 wires coming from the wall
1 black brown sleeved
1 black white line sleeved brown
1 grey sleeved brown
1 grey sleeved brown
4 x brown
1 of the grey has a brown with it
1 black has brown with it
2 browns together
2 single browns
the new switch has 1 way 2 way 1 way 2 way com com
but not a clue where they go now as i never took a picture
can this be fixed with help or am i ?
i’m in the uk as well
rewired about 10 years ago
obviously the wiring to the switch isn’t right because it doesn’t work !

Attachments

• AA502234-A08B-4927-A941-CB5D31DE8D25.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 0ECCA184-1756-4053-8E5C-AD9207A67C1E.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
You will need to contact an electrician who can test the wiring on site, trying to work that out over the internet will take a very long time. There are many possible incorrect combinations.

There is a risk here of interconnecting two circuits and creating a potentially dangerous situation if you try winging it. Definitely worth getting an Electrician in.

Ignoring the brown sleeves are you sure there are eight wires. Looks like two brown, two grey and two black.

As far as I can tell it appears to be 2x 3 core cable and 1x twin brown
agree. the downstairs would appear to have the L and s/l in L1 and L2 + 3 core strappers, and the upstairs just the 3 core ( with the L and s/l in the upstairs switch ). 1/2 hour to sort for a spark.

Can you show a clear picture of the wiring at the landing light switch for the two way switching.

as above. if you've not messed with disturbed the upstairs switch, we can then see what's what.

without taking if off it’s hard to get better photos

Attachments

• 93777917-F300-42D8-9769-CB95FD6EF61C.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 23
  • CC4D562F-3F8E-4977-AD59-95166909CC61.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 19
  • C40FF0F2-F712-4321-8325-722FAE5DEDAB.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 57C5A5FA-0C9A-4DBA-96C1-0F26A5ED6F17.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 21
Difficult to see from those pics. Here is how I suspect it should be connected. I assume the back of your new switch resembles my drawing so connect as shown but keep each cable with the brown, grey and black to its own switch. For now make the cable with the two browns safe in a connector but with the wires separated. Theoretically one light should work, once we know this we can say where the other cable goes. ISOLATE ALL POWER FIRST.
20200301_104857.jpg

What have you done with the cable which only has two browns, if they are connected together the light will stay on. They need to be separated and kept safe for now.
Is that last picture the landing switch, please tell me you haven't interfered wìth that one.

my right controls upstairs now on off my left does nothing downstairs light won’t turn off
strange thing now to the upstairs light comes on with the bathroom light ?
[automerge]1583061729[/automerge]
What have you done with the cable which only has two browns, if they are connected together the light will stay on. They need to be separated and kept safe for now.
put them in a connection box behind

Is that last picture the landing switch, please tell me you haven't interfered wìth that one.
the landing light was done a few weeks ago and everything was working
[automerge]1583062310[/automerge]
Are the two browns connected together.
[automerge]1583062323[/automerge]

Okay if this doesn't solve the problem something is amiss and you will need an electrician. Connect the browns of the disconnected cable to the non working side of the switch as per the red lines on my drawing. ISOLATE POWER FIRST.
20200301_113132.jpg

Reply to 3way 2 gang wiring help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock