Discuss 3way 2 gang wiring help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

shaz27

DIY
Reaction score
help please made a really stupid mistake and can’t figure it out ,
i have a 2 gang light switch at the bottom of the stairs this controls upstairs and downstairs stairs light also downstairs is a 1 gang 2 way switch, upstairs there is a 2 gang switch that controls upstairs light plus bathroom,
the light switch broke at the bottom so i tried to change it but didn’t take note like ? now i’m knackered
it has 8 wires coming from the wall
1 black brown sleeved
1 black white line sleeved brown
1 grey sleeved brown
1 grey sleeved brown
4 x brown
1 of the grey has a brown with it
1 black has brown with it
2 browns together
2 single browns
the new switch has 1 way 2 way 1 way 2 way com com
but not a clue where they go now as i never took a picture
can this be fixed with help or am i ?
i’m in the uk as well
rewired about 10 years ago
obviously the wiring to the switch isn’t right because it doesn’t work !

Attachments

• AA502234-A08B-4927-A941-CB5D31DE8D25.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 0ECCA184-1756-4053-8E5C-AD9207A67C1E.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
You will need to contact an electrician who can test the wiring on site, trying to work that out over the internet will take a very long time. There are many possible incorrect combinations.

There is a risk here of interconnecting two circuits and creating a potentially dangerous situation if you try winging it. Definitely worth getting an Electrician in.

Ignoring the brown sleeves are you sure there are eight wires. Looks like two brown, two grey and two black.

As far as I can tell it appears to be 2x 3 core cable and 1x twin brown
agree. the downstairs would appear to have the L and s/l in L1 and L2 + 3 core strappers, and the upstairs just the 3 core ( with the L and s/l in the upstairs switch ). 1/2 hour to sort for a spark.

Can you show a clear picture of the wiring at the landing light switch for the two way switching.

as above. if you've not messed with disturbed the upstairs switch, we can then see what's what.

Reply to 3way 2 gang wiring help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net