Discuss £4K rewire what do you expect ... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Surely having a basic sense of pride in one's work would dictate that cables aren't lashed across lofts? When I rewired upstairs lighting in my parent's house, it never occured to me that anything other than clipping neatly and close to the eaves might be acceptable. Wish I'd thought of cable tray as that would have been so much nicer than 200 odd years of dust and dirt...

Surely having a basic sense of pride in one's work would dictate that cables aren't lashed across lofts? When I rewired upstairs lighting in my parent's house, it never occured to me that anything other than clipping neatly and close to the eaves might be acceptable. Wish I'd thought of cable tray as that would have been so much nicer than 200 odd years of dust and dirt...
Thinking cable tray in a domestic situ, bit over the top for me.
Cables laid on top of joists parallel looks ok.

For the amount of cable shown in the video, tray would have been ideal, admittedly not normally required for residential. Have used it in the past with a large house with many cable runs leading back to the CU.
Edit: having said that, it didn't stop wet pants laying his unclipped plastic pipes across my neatly laid tray and cabling.

Last edited:
I haven’t watched the video so can’t comment on the installation but IMO 4K for a standard 3 bed Rewire is about the going rate. £1000 on material, 2 sparks and a lad for 4 days £1000 Labour, £320 overheads £1680 in the sky rocket....even if it takes 5 days your still on to a decent earner.
You pay 2 sparks and a lad £250 a day in total, or am I reading that wrong?

That's exactly how I would do it. Despite the fact we don't (yet) have the requirement to clip cables, we will usually do it for neatness at corners not on straight runs. Looks a lot better. However in houses where they may be in a position to do an attic conversion we will drill joists.
Regarding a 3 day rewire.... first time I have heard of the concept. Shortest I have experienced is a week (as in 7 days) and that was a rare exception.
Price wise 4000 euro was not unusual for a terraced house.In fact in some cases it was a, good price. However now that detectors, LSF cable, surge protection and a, number of other additions required with new regs, I doubt we will see a 4 grand price tag on a rewire again.
My most recent rewire was 6000
Did a cottage recently for €6,200. Some people have completely unrealistic expectations about price unfortunately.

Or in the old days some short of cuts of cables nailed to the rafters as make shift loops to bunch all the cables together neatly up out the way

Reply to £4K rewire what do you expect ... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net