Discuss 60 volts on an R2 long lead test? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Testing today. Zs produced an Err 4 reading on the Fluke MFT, so I got the wander lead out and connected to the MET. No continuity but 60 (ish) volts difference showing on the display.

Any ideas?

Sounds like there’s no earth continuity on the circuit. Was the circuit live when you tested with wander lead? The 60v is likely to be an induced or floating voltage on the unearthed conductor.

There’s no earth at that point in the circuit plus something has caused a potential of 60 volts to earth to appear on the earth terminal at that point.
I assume this is an EICR since you have carried out the efli test before the continuity of cpc so you need to code it accordingly.

It's actually a minor works. Intending to extend lighting circuit from that point.

Looks like I'll be spending my Saturday looking for a missing CPC. Oh joy.

My top tip for you .... Doing a Zs at the point you wish to extend from .... And make 100% sure any pricing you give allows for unexpected issues arising and you can charge the client more ...

My top tip for you .... Doing a Zs at the point you wish to extend from .... And make 100% sure any pricing you give allows for unexpected issues arising and you can charge the client more ...

It's a longstanding client luckily so it's all day rate.

Found the issue, broken CPC in a pendant, possibly moved by a decorator. (Not that I'm pointing fingers).

It wasn't the lack of earth continuity that puzzled me so much as the 60V.

with a broken cpc , it's common to read a voltage on the part of the cpc that is not connected. commonly known as a floating voltage. could be induced from current carrying cables in close proximity. once the cpc has been repaired, that voltage will be like Donald Trump's personality. totally disappeared.

A very conveniently round mft Figure .(on a secondary display ?)
Warning of danger rather than acuracy !
( High input resistance of mft lets it get that high )
- would be lower if you put your finger there -
( not a suggestion ! )

Never should have moved from needles to LCD...
Although,of course,this may have dulled the enjoyment,of an Xbox:)

Reply to 60 volts on an R2 long lead test? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net