Discuss Troubleshooting Smart Doorbell Installation - Pics + voltage checks inc. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

thazelnut

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've installed a Lorex doorbell recently, but it is not turning on.

I did some tests using a multimeter and this is what I found:
  1. Transformer voltage: 29v (transformer specs: Heath Zenith: 24v 20VA transformer)
  2. Chimebox (between Trans 3 and Front 2 screws): 29v
  3. Back of Doorbell Power Terminals: 29v
Based on the above, I would expect the doorbell to be powered on, but it is not.

To test the doorbell itself, I took it out, and powered it via a usb wall plug-in. When I did this, the doorbell turns on.

Just trying to figure out why my doorbell isn't working when it is hard-wired?

There are a few areas that I would like the community's help with.

1.) Could you diagnose if there is an issue with how the chimebox is wired?

My chimebox was initially set like this:
chimeboxc.jpeg

According to Lorex, their doorbell is not compatible with my chimebox. Therefore, I decided to bypass the chime completely. I didn't have a bypass cable specifically, but based on advice on another thread by the user Dartlec, I moved the Trans 3 wire and combined it to the Front 2 screw terminal. (Replace Friedland Type 4 chime transformer for Ring doorbell - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/replace-friedland-type-4-chime-transformer-for-ring-doorbell.195831/)

Screenshot 2023-11-12 162455.png

So now I set my chimebox like this: with the wires from T3 and F2 joined on one screw. As I mentioned earlier, all voltage reads 29v~ This time, when i check voltage between the O (top left) and Front 2 (bottom right) terminal, I still see 29v~
IMG_20231112_142659.jpg

2.) Does the primary connection of the doorbell transformer make sense to you inside of the circuit breaker/panel? As you can see, the doorbell transformer is connected to another circuit (the washing machine). It's been like that since we got the house. I just want to check if the position of the black, white, and green wires make sense for the transformer.

Screenshot 2023-11-12 163227.png

3.) Any other ideas as to what is wrong with the doorbell wiring?

In terms of continuity, I did check the following areas with a volt meter on the continuity setting:
  1. There is continuity between Trans 3 and Front 2 on the chimebox
  2. There is continuity between wires leading to the back of the doorbell terminals when I connect them together
  3. There is continuity between doorbell wires leading to the transformer's secondary when connected together

Attachments

• IMG_20231101_182019.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 13
Can you post a photo of the whole of that board? plus the front cover as Just a bit puzzled and curious about it.

Also all those earth cables are bare and require Earth yellow/green sleeving.

So I do have an update on this. I spoke to doorbell customer support.

They said the voltage for the doorbell must be 16-24v. I had heard that as long as the voltage is within a couple volts, the doorbell should still work, but apparently not. They said if the voltage the doorbell is getting is even 0.1v below 16v or 0.1v above 24v, the doorbell won't power on at all. Does that make sense to you all?

So somehow, I am getting 29v out from my transformer when it is rated for 24v. Is it normal for transformers to do this? Since it is a tri-volt transformer, I switched the wires to the 16v setting. Funnily enough, now the doorbell output is too low (10v when it should be 16v).

I can confirm two things though for certainty. After having wired both white wires from the chimebox together, and black wires together via a wire nut, I can see 29v from the transformer, and 29v from the back of the doorbell.

At this point, would you all agree it is mainly the transformer that needs to be switched out?

Second Update: 12/25/2023
Hey everyone, so I solved my doorbell issue. Turns out there were two reasons why my doorbell wasn't turning on.

1.) The transformer: For the Lorex doorbell that I use, I needed a specific type of transformer (16v 30VA transformer). I had to specially order this from Amazon, because I wasn't able to find this at any local hardware store. I previously used a 8-24v Heath Zenith tri-volt transformer. While this transformer did power on my doorbell at first, it was causing damage over time.

2.) The Doorbell: By the time I used the correct transformer to power the doorbell, it had already been damaged previously due to the incorrect transformer. I mistakenly thought the transformer couldn't be the issue, because the doorbell was powered on for 6-7 months with the old transformer. In reality, though the doorbell was powered on, it was being damaged until it eventually failed to turn on via hard wiring at all.

Interestingly, enough, despite the fact that the doorbell wouldn't turn on via hard wiring when it was damaged, it was still able to be charged via USB connection to my PC. Either way, after getting a replacement doorbell and using the correct transformer, everything is working great. Hope this helps future readers!

Reply to Troubleshooting Smart Doorbell Installation - Pics + voltage checks inc. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net