Currently reading:
6a fan isolater or 5a fused connection unit for bathroom fans

Discuss 6a fan isolater or 5a fused connection unit for bathroom fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

baazab

-
Reaction score
hi avery1 i notice few new houses got 5a fused connection unit controlling bath room fans,my q how do they do it if you have 3core cable +earth (timer fan) i always used (3polefan isolater l1 l2 N).:dozey:

fitted a elv fan in shower room today. no mention of fusing in the manufacturers leaflet. i'll be back there friday and see if i can pick up the data, as also the fan was virtually silent. well impressed , especially as the builder supplied it.!!

A bit of both lol. Wish I'd written it a bit better now! Actually I've just read a set of Manrose instructions and it doesn't state before the light or anything sensible.

What I want is a fan which doesn't need a fuse!! Now that would be good.
That would be perfect! But i believe its asking too much of these manufacturers, i don't see the need for additional fusing just for a pigging bathroom fan! Have a look at these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Manrose/BGCF100_200.pdf

Ooh i love a mass debate! There is no requirement unless the manufacturer specifies it, i rarely fit an fcu, just the tp fan isolator will do in my eyes. The fcu would only be needed for the permenant live as that is what runs the fan motor, the switch live is just to trigger it if its a timer fan that is! If its not a timer fan then just an fcu would do the job as there would be no permenant live anyway!

When I was (much) younger, my Mum said if I didn't stop doing that I would go blind. Dad said I would go deaf.

Here I am all these years later, wearing glasses and booked-in for a hearing test next week.

Ah it's nice to see some of the old wives tales, myths and general heresay regarding bathroom fans rearing their heads again. Here's one for all you lot, I fit Soler & Palau fans whose manufacturers instructions don't require any form of fusing down. I am fully entitled to feed my fan from a light switch without a single fuse or a TP isolator in line and my work in doing so would be completely and utterly acceptable.

"Gotta have a TP isolator for maintenence in the dark"... Hogwash!
"Gotta have local isolation"... Tripe!
"Gotta fuse it down to 3A"... Claptrap!

Keep peddling these myths boys, it does the industry so many favours you know!

Reply to 6a fan isolater or 5a fused connection unit for bathroom fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back