Discuss 6a fan isolater or 5a fused connection unit for bathroom fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

if you tried to light the bog roll after i'd had a dump, a visit to the burns unit at the local hozzie would follow.

live to supply side dp sfcu, supply side l to one pole of dp switch (wall or ceiling), load l to other pole of dp switch, fan perm live from either load side of sfcu or supply side of dp switch. Light still on when fan isolated, fan fused correctly, dp isolation of fan only achieved

Ah it's nice to see some of the old wives tales, myths and general heresay regarding bathroom fans rearing their heads again. Here's one for all you lot, I fit Soler & Palau fans whose manufacturers instructions don't require any form of fusing down. I am fully entitled to feed my fan from a light switch without a single fuse or a TP isolator in line and my work in doing so would be completely and utterly acceptable.

"Gotta have a TP isolator for maintenence in the dark"... Hogwash!
"Gotta have local isolation"... Tripe!
"Gotta fuse it down to 3A"... Claptrap!

Keep peddling these myths boys, it does the industry so many favours you know!

Sorry madam I can't install a loft light for you because it's far too dark up there for me to work :bucktooth:

Its this weird practice of mixing control of ventilation with a person using a room, whether its dark or smelling or is just a quick visit

I have seen many of these threads and it bewilders me why anybody would think of controlling ventilation dependant on light use

Fit a DP switch with a fuse and control the fan via a independent pull cord and forget the weird practice

The 3 pole isolation would be a non issue

I have seen many of these threads and it bewilders me why anybody would think of controlling ventilation dependant on light use

Part F building regs - for rooms with no windows states it must plus manufacturers instructions for fans with overrun

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Des 56

Part F building regs - for rooms with no windows states it must plus manufacturers instructions for fans with overrun

icon13.png

Ok its game on
icon6.png

I don't have enough of the Geek in me to study a mind numbing document such as Approved document F,but here we go

quoted from F1 table 1.5 Dwellings

Intermittent extract can be operated
manually and/or automatically
For a room with
no openable window (ie an internal room)the fan should have a 15 minute over run.In rooms with no natural light,the fan couldbe controlled by the operation of the main room light switch

Over to you sir,If I am correct,the apology can be accepted when you feel up to it
icon6.png

If I am wrong,you can have yours now
icon7.png

quoted from F1 table 1.5 Dwellings

Intermittent extract can be operated
manually and/or automatically
For a room with
no openable window (ie an internal room)the fan should have a 15 minute over run. In rooms with no natural light,the fan couldbe controlled by the operation of the main room light switch

I'm not having a 15 minute over run on my ensuite!

I'm not having a 15 minute over run on my ensuite!

Accepted
icon7.png
I take it your not a Curry eater or Cider drinker,that's when the Mrs instructions kick in,she starts specifying well timed ventilation
icon7.png

I was referring to 10.5.2 (p132) Electricians Guide to Building Regs. 'For an internal room with no natural light, the fan should be controlled by the operation of the main room light switch....'.
Wasn't criticising or saying you were wrong, just answering the question where did people get this idea from, plus manufacturers instructions often say for timed fans to take sl from light.
Personally I am happy wiring the way that I mentioned a few posts ago, covers all bases

I wish I could find the reg which states motors need local isolation incase of emergency's like fire for example, it is there somewhere I had to show it to a customer once, I canny find it now and feel frustrated LOL

I was referring to 10.5.2 (p132) Electricians Guide to Building Regs. 'For an internal room with no natural light, the fan should be controlled by the operation of the main room light switch....'.
I only have an old version of that book,I would be surprised if the word was wrongly inserted,ie "Should" where it needs to say "Could"
Wasn't criticising or saying you were wrong, just answering the question no worries where did people get this idea from, plus manufacturers instructions often say for timed fans to take sl from light.They also often suggest fitting a fuse,its a shame they don't follow their own recomendation by fitting it themselves
Personally I am happy wiring the way that I mentioned a few posts ago, covers all bases
No problem there,we all do as we see fit
icon14.png

Please excuse me if you thought I was reacting to criticism,I was merely trying to debate (from a position of quite a lot of ignorance) the subject, with attempt at a little humour thrown in of course
icon7.png

Reply to 6a fan isolater or 5a fused connection unit for bathroom fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net