Search the forum,

Discuss 6a fan isolater or 5a fused connection unit for bathroom fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

baazab

-
Reaction score
hi avery1 i notice few new houses got 5a fused connection unit controlling bath room fans,my q how do they do it if you have 3core cable +earth (timer fan) i always used (3polefan isolater l1 l2 N).:dozey:

hi avery1 i notice few new houses got 5a fused connection unit controlling bath room fans,my q how do they do it if you have 3core cable +earth (timer fan) i always used (3polefan isolater l1 l2 N).:dozey:
You only need to fuse the permenant live, you still need a fan isolator though for maintenence

or the FCU could feed the bathroom light as well, so both would be fused.

Unless something has changed, then you are doing it right, and what you have seen is wrong, unless it is not a timer fan.

Cheers………….Howard.

You only need to fuse the permenant live, you still need a fan isolator though for maintenence

To stir up some debate ....... dont you have to 'fuse' all the live conductors to the fan? (the way Tel suggests does this!) and unless the manuf says so, where is there a requirement to fit a specific fan isolator? (setting aside good practise!)

So if you put a 3A fuse in the feed to the light, before the switch you can achieve DP isolation AND fusing down together. If you need RCD protection you simply use a RCDFCU. Simples

pls tell me if im wrong & this is how i do it if its bathroom timer fan or normal fan, 3core cable from the bathrom lighting circuit to 3pole fan isolater then from isolater to transformer out to the fan.

it's good practice to fit a fan isolator when there is no window to let in natural light to see when working on the fan. i assume that this came about before torches were invented. hold on though. torches were invented before bathroom fans. i'm confused .com. and my name is NOT brian. nor is it the messiah.

To stir up some debate ....... dont you have to 'fuse' all the live conductors to the fan? (the way Tel suggests does this!) and unless the manuf says so, where is there a requirement to fit a specific fan isolator? (setting aside good practise!)
Ooh i love a mass debate! There is no requirement unless the manufacturer specifies it, i rarely fit an fcu, just the tp fan isolator will do in my eyes. The fcu would only be needed for the permenant live as that is what runs the fan motor, the switch live is just to trigger it if its a timer fan that is! If its not a timer fan then just an fcu would do the job as there would be no permenant live anyway!

Ooh i love a mass debate! There is no requirement unless the manufacturer specifies it, i rarely fit an fcu, just the tp fan isolator will do in my eyes. The fcu would only be needed for the permenant live as that is what runs the fan motor, the switch live is just to trigger it if its a timer fan that is! If its not a timer fan then just an fcu would do the job as there would be no permenant live anyway!

Really - which fans do you fit?

I don't get it! Is that a question or a statement?

A bit of both lol. Wish I'd written it a bit better now! Actually I've just read a set of Manrose instructions and it doesn't state before the light or anything sensible.

What I want is a fan which doesn't need a fuse!! Now that would be good.

fitted a elv fan in shower room today. no mention of fusing in the manufacturers leaflet. i'll be back there friday and see if i can pick up the data, as also the fan was virtually silent. well impressed , especially as the builder supplied it.!!

A bit of both lol. Wish I'd written it a bit better now! Actually I've just read a set of Manrose instructions and it doesn't state before the light or anything sensible.

What I want is a fan which doesn't need a fuse!! Now that would be good.
That would be perfect! But i believe its asking too much of these manufacturers, i don't see the need for additional fusing just for a pigging bathroom fan! Have a look at these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Manrose/BGCF100_200.pdf

whole issue is quite pointless as a 6A MCB would trip while the 3A fuse was thinking about it.

Except this asks for a 3A fuse and DP isolation!
That's what i said earlier, it asks for 3A dp isolation and if you look at that poxy little diagram its installed before the light switch, not very clear though and i wouldn't arse about with that anyway when a tp isolator is a much better way to go

When I was (much) younger, my Mum said if I didn't stop doing that I would go blind. Dad said I would go deaf.

Here I am all these years later, wearing glasses and booked-in for a hearing test next week.

Ah it's nice to see some of the old wives tales, myths and general heresay regarding bathroom fans rearing their heads again. Here's one for all you lot, I fit Soler & Palau fans whose manufacturers instructions don't require any form of fusing down. I am fully entitled to feed my fan from a light switch without a single fuse or a TP isolator in line and my work in doing so would be completely and utterly acceptable.

"Gotta have a TP isolator for maintenence in the dark"... Hogwash!
"Gotta have local isolation"... Tripe!
"Gotta fuse it down to 3A"... Claptrap!

Keep peddling these myths boys, it does the industry so many favours you know!

He's quick on his toes with replying to posts! :biggrin5:

Agreed - he is extremely quick

I always have to think a post over a bit before submitting in case I've made some kind of howling schoolboy error - resulting in having to survive the inevitable onslaught of 'friendly' abuse and banter!!

lol

if you tried to light the bog roll after i'd had a dump, a visit to the burns unit at the local hozzie would follow.

live to supply side dp sfcu, supply side l to one pole of dp switch (wall or ceiling), load l to other pole of dp switch, fan perm live from either load side of sfcu or supply side of dp switch. Light still on when fan isolated, fan fused correctly, dp isolation of fan only achieved

Ah it's nice to see some of the old wives tales, myths and general heresay regarding bathroom fans rearing their heads again. Here's one for all you lot, I fit Soler & Palau fans whose manufacturers instructions don't require any form of fusing down. I am fully entitled to feed my fan from a light switch without a single fuse or a TP isolator in line and my work in doing so would be completely and utterly acceptable.

"Gotta have a TP isolator for maintenence in the dark"... Hogwash!
"Gotta have local isolation"... Tripe!
"Gotta fuse it down to 3A"... Claptrap!

Keep peddling these myths boys, it does the industry so many favours you know!

Sorry madam I can't install a loft light for you because it's far too dark up there for me to work :bucktooth:

Its this weird practice of mixing control of ventilation with a person using a room, whether its dark or smelling or is just a quick visit

I have seen many of these threads and it bewilders me why anybody would think of controlling ventilation dependant on light use

Fit a DP switch with a fuse and control the fan via a independent pull cord and forget the weird practice

The 3 pole isolation would be a non issue

I have seen many of these threads and it bewilders me why anybody would think of controlling ventilation dependant on light use

Part F building regs - for rooms with no windows states it must plus manufacturers instructions for fans with overrun

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Des 56

Part F building regs - for rooms with no windows states it must plus manufacturers instructions for fans with overrun

icon13.png

Ok its game on
icon6.png

I don't have enough of the Geek in me to study a mind numbing document such as Approved document F,but here we go

quoted from F1 table 1.5 Dwellings

Intermittent extract can be operated
manually and/or automatically
For a room with
no openable window (ie an internal room)the fan should have a 15 minute over run.In rooms with no natural light,the fan couldbe controlled by the operation of the main room light switch

Over to you sir,If I am correct,the apology can be accepted when you feel up to it
icon6.png

If I am wrong,you can have yours now
icon7.png

quoted from F1 table 1.5 Dwellings

Intermittent extract can be operated
manually and/or automatically
For a room with
no openable window (ie an internal room)the fan should have a 15 minute over run. In rooms with no natural light,the fan couldbe controlled by the operation of the main room light switch

I'm not having a 15 minute over run on my ensuite!

Reply to 6a fan isolater or 5a fused connection unit for bathroom fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net