Discuss A broken ring issue......? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening..

I have completed EICR and discovered an issue with the ring.

The ring serves the whole house. A previous report from 2 years ago had it down as broken and they changed the 32A mcb for a 20A mcb. The client new this and has rightly asked for the fault to be found.

When I tested the ring at the CU r1, r2 and rn were all adequate (r1=0.31, r2=0.72, rn=0.32). However, at the vast majority of sockets r1, r2 and rn were all showing >1999ohms.

I did start writing out my ideas but I've just deleted it as they sounded poor and I have to get the boy to bed!

Something along the line of a very long radial off one of the sockets!!??

Any thoughts welcome.

upload_2017-8-4_21-27-28.png
the clock ticking on this one.

Guys I am sorry. I've been at the beach all day and the cloud and wind has masked the UV and I'm a bit spaced out at the mo. I'll answer the questions properly over the next few days and reread what I wrote in the OP.

Evening..

I have completed EICR and discovered an issue with the ring.

The ring serves the whole house. A previous report from 2 years ago had it down as broken and they changed the 32A mcb for a 20A mcb. The client new this and has rightly asked for the fault to be found.

When I tested the ring at the CU r1, r2 and rn were all adequate (r1=0.31, r2=0.72, rn=0.32). However, at the vast majority of sockets r1, r2 and rn were all showing >1999ohms.

I did start writing out my ideas but I've just deleted it as they sounded poor and I have to get the boy to bed!

Something along the line of a very long radial off one of the sockets!!??

Any thoughts welcome.
I would expect a r2 of approx. 0.52 unless it's a cpc of 1.0mm2 however I'm a bit confused regarding the 1999 ohms. Is this an old house with possible j.b's under the floor could be a ring with multiple spurs. I assume that all the sockets work in that case you should get a reading of r1 + rn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would expect a r2 of approx. 0.52 unless it's a cpc of 1.0mm2 however I'm a bit confused regarding the 1999 ohms. Is this an old house with possible j.b's under the floor could be a ring with multiple spurs. I assume that all the sockets work in that case you should get a reading of r1 + rn.

Readings are pretty much bang on for a 1.0mm ring. The ring is around 40m long which is short for a whole house. As westward said earlier you have spurs coming off

I would concur with Murdoch spider ring approach, it seems the most likely, but I thought they were a 50's invention.
Possibly someone added a few sockets to the ring normally at a later date which would account for some of the sockets having an end to end reading.
In potential if it is a spider ring it can be a safe way of doing a ring but it is not normally accepted practice now.

Another possibility is if someone DIYed the ring to add more sockets and took a new cable to another socket to "maintain the ring" and disconnected the actual ring cable that would have made a figure 8 ring thereby leaving a small ring with a long spur on spur on spur....

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. The client is keen on a rewire of the sockets. I have suggested some fault finding first as it could be far cheaper, but he has decided to stay in the property rather than sell it and says he just wants new wiring to see him through to the end so he doesn't have any hassles.

I'll give an update to whatever I find after I've carried out any work.

Reply to A broken ring issue......? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net