Search the forum,

Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I worked as a science teacher for 10 years. Most labs have sockets on desks or adjacent to them. I can tell you teenagers can be just as bad as infants at poking pens, pencils, pairs of compasses etc into the sockets. In a colleague's lesson a 16 year old managed to shove a paper clip into the socket and turn it on! He was very lucky that he let go of the clip before flicking the switch. (He still got a different kind of shock!)

I have emailed the link to some of my old colleagues a link of the video.
The other half had to watch the video too (had to wait for Home and Away to finish to make sure she was paying attention!) She visits nurseries as an assessor and is going to spread the word. :21:

Top Job!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder to everyone, could you all please keep banging the drum for the http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/ site and campaign?

The sooner the world is rid of “childproof socket covers” the better it will be.

I’ve managed to get them banned from two health care trusts, with your help more should follow.

good for you tony i pointed 2 out at a local hospital my wife was attending these was in a play area but they just looked dumb at me

As these covers are in service equipment and plugged into BS1363 socket outlets should they be PAT tested and failed as not complying with the British Standards for design and safety

That's a great idea to keep our world free from childproof socket covers.You have done a wonderful job Tony.
It is VERY important to understand that, as our site makes clear, the FatallyFlawed campaign is intended for UK residents only! I am sure that the information we provide may also be of use in other countries which use BS 1363 sockets, notably Ireland, but is does NOT apply to any other type of socket. Socket covers can be genuinly useful in some countries, notably those whose sockets are recessed and do not have internal shutters. Maglamps, we do not want to change anything in Australia or any other part of the non-BS 1363 world!

Theses socket covers are clearly pointless, anyone with half a brain can see that, but I have no problem with people capitilising on the stupidity of neurotic idiots.

But fataly dangerous? Not so sure....
I see the point about them being inserted upside down but surely this would only be possible if the cover had only an earth pin and no L or N, which I have never seen.
To suggest that a 3 pin cover is dangerous is just nonsense if you ask me. The original article goes on a lot about how bad they are, but doesn't really say why, except that they are pointless.

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock