Discuss Abbott & Bradley push pull button in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

ldworks

Hi never done much industrial work but picking things up. But how does this push pull button work. I can work out the switching but can't understand how it holds the contact so how do I wire one of these?Please put in laymans terms to fully understand please.

idworks, you evidently mean a Allen Bradley push button / control gear component. If you can't understand the principles of industrial control or don't know the principles, you are delving into unknown depths. Sorry to be brunt, leave alone. There are many on here who will willingly help with a problem if they knew that you understood. To ask questions when you are knowledgable is a different ball game. If you know what you really have to do & genuinely want experienced help, we will help. piccollo

Last edited by a moderator:
idworks, you evidently mean a Allen Bradley push button / control gear component. If you can't understand the principles of industrial control or don't know the principles, you are delving into unknown depths. Sorry to be brunt, leave alone. There are many on here who will willingly help with a problem if they knew that you understood. To ask questions when you are knowledgable is a different ball game. If you know what you really have to do & genuinely want experienced help, we will help. piccollo

There was once a time when you didn't know, either, just remember that. Just because the OP doesn't know one particular bit of kit doesn't render him incompetent.

And any fool can put a post up saying I'm not going to help you (probably because they don't know themselves), a wiser response is to ask what the OP has already figured out and what the background to the post is, then take it from there. DIY Dave is unlikely to be asking industrial questions, so if you want to take a poke at him go and look in all the domestic threads.

Dear Rockingit, I was not picking holes, or meaning to, OP says he does not know how to hold the contact or does he mean hold in contact. Will willingly help if a further explaination is given or what he wants to do. He says he can work out the switching, ok, N/O & N/C contacts. Does he want a stop/ start circuit, or what. Only trying to help but as you are aware very awkward to answer fully when limited info. Does he mean a knock off / lock off stop button? piccollo

:) more like it (and a sneaky edit.......).

OP - I can't help with this as I don't do industrial but there's plenty on here that do. Looks like Piccollo wants to give you a hand once you've explained a bit more??

Thanks rockingit. I've done many different electrical jobs and installs but my boss wants me to expand into industrial electrics and I never bulls/it my way through things as that's how cowboys do it!!if I don't know it inside out I don't do it, now I'm being asked to wire a A&B push pull button.looking at it the u have the four contacts for the p&p and then 2 terminals on other side which I'm not sure what there for(model 800T P&P).i think it's either for wiring to tell stat of switching to PLC or a mechanical interlock(right phrase???) to hold coil in when button is pushed and then when full depressed it turns everything off.im told I learn very quick so pls don't think me stupid but it's an area I've never really had to deal with except now!!any help would be nice thanks.

but can't understand how it holds the contact

The button can mechanically latch in or out in the form you describe.
Others are push to make or push to break. and can have multiple contacts on them.

E stops can be trigger, where it only takes a light touch and it continues in to break.

The button can mechanically latch in or out in the form you describe.
Others are push to make or push to break. and can have multiple contacts on them.

E stops can be trigger, where it only takes a light touch and it continues in to break.

thanks u snowhead. I understand the contact (110v) comes to the p&p and then has a s/w line on other side which energises the coil thus turning my motor on but this one has four contacts and a friend said in passing its to do with the AUXILARY to start motor but not to engage it???does the motor have AUXILARY wiring or is this something else (maybe only engaging before point of centrifugal switch, maybe on totally wrong path on this one??) for the 4 contacts. When pulled the bottom two contacts are engaged but the top contacts are briefly engaged (sprung loaded contacts 3 stage p&p) which I presume is a contact switch? If anyone knows to explain this easier than I've been told (maybe on totally wrong path) then I would be very grateful. I've done electrics for many years but not really had to fully understand contacts except when changing on "like for like". Wished I'd learnt more when I started electrics about contacts and plc.never mind.

Dear idworks, I googled the switch & found:-http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ALLEN-BRADLEY-PUSH-PULL-PUSH-BUTTON-MODEL-800T-FXP16RA1-/350697322621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a730787d
This is an illuminated switch with one pair N/C & one pair N/O contacts. The 2 additional contacts could be for the illumination. Is this like the switch you have? Also are you just wanting to add a remote stop or start button? Will help if I can, regards piccollo

Reply to Abbott & Bradley push pull button in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net