Discuss Access Training Wales in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SteveLewis

Good Evening all, hope you are well. I was hoping someone could answer my question, I hope it has been posted in the correct place.

The Training provided at Access Training Wales gives the student the following qualifications;

• Part P EAL Domestic Electrical Installer -
    Full Scope.
  • The 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations - City & Guilds 2382.
  • Certificate in Fundamental Inspection and Testing - City & Guilds 2392-10.
  • Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations - City & Guilds 2391-10.
And states it is designed for students with no experience (Like myself), they also claim to be able to get you a job easily with these qualifications.(I do trust them) Just Wife is very sceptical before I part with 5k

I was just wondering if you believe it to be true? I knwo there is a lot more to learn and would continue to do so if I was able to work as an Electrician with these qualifications

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Evening all, hope you are well. I was hoping someone could answer my question, I hope it has been posted in the correct place.

The Training provided at Access Training Wales gives the student the following qualifications;

• Part P EAL Domestic Electrical Installer -
    Full Scope.
  • The 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations - City & Guilds 2382.
  • Certificate in Fundamental Inspection and Testing - City & Guilds 2392-10.
  • Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations - City & Guilds 2391-10.
And states it is designed for students with no experience (Like myself), they also claim to be able to get you a job easily with these qualifications.(I do trust them) Just Wife is very sceptical before I part with 5k

I was just wondering if you believe it to be true? I knwo there is a lot more to learn and would continue to do so if I was able to work as an Electrician with these qualifications

would love to know where these jobs are bud take a look on this forum in the jobs unite section youll find thread after thread of guys looking for jobs with frankly better quals who are fresh out of coll and others with experience all looking for jobs.

and in my experience i automatically distrust anyone who is trying to sell me something and at the end of the day that is what they are doing selling you training.

*]Certificate in Fundamental Inspection and Testing - City & Guilds 2392-10.
[*]Inspection, Testing & Certification of Electrical Installations - City & Guilds 2391-10.

and these 2 quals are 2 levels of the same qual the 2391 is more in depth and covers all and more of the 2392.
the 2391 is the 1 you want the other isnt really recognised but doing both in quick succession imo could be somewhat unnecessary.

i know that this is probably not what you wanted to hear and i cant comment on the quality of the training but quite frankly i think its disgusting that they are stating that they can easily get you a job to get you to part with 5k when at the end of the day the current climate means everyone is struggling to fond work and looking for someway of making their lives better and they are preying on this.

at the end of the day its your decision but you need to look at how many jobs are being advertised and how many people are looking for work can you really afford to part with 5k right now and then find your struggling for work because imo there promises are hollow:(

i would only advise courses like these to someone who already a great deal of site experience and just wants to add qualifications, there is no quick way of becoming a spark im afraid. 2382 and 2391 are two good certs to have but without that experience they mean very little.

would love to know where these jobs are bud take a look on this forum in the jobs unite section youll find thread after thread of guys looking for jobs with frankly better quals who are fresh out of coll and others with experience all looking for jobs.

and in my experience i automatically distrust anyone who is trying to sell me something and at the end of the day that is what they are doing selling you training.

and these 2 quals are practically the same the 2391 is more in depth and covers all and more of the 2392.
the 2391 is the 1 you want the other isnt really recognised but doing both imo is completely unnecessary which would also make me wary.

i know that this is probably not what you wanted to hear and i cant comment on the quality of the training but quite frankly i think its disgusting that they are stating that they can easily get you a job to get you to part with 5k when at the end of the day the current climate means everyone is struggling to fond work and looking for someway of making their lives better and they are preying on this.

at the end of the day its your decision but you need to look at how many jobs are being advertised and how many people are looking for work can you really afford to part with 5k right now and then find your struggling for work because imo there promises are hollow:(

Hate to disagree about being practically the same

2392 is a level 2 course aimed at domestic/single phase

2391 is a level 3 course and more intense including dealing with 3 phase

pass rate for 2391 is normally around 50-55% but can dip to 45% because of the low pass rate some places now will not let you taking 2391 without first taking and passing 2392

Last edited:
Hate to disagree about being practically the same

2392 is a level 2 course aimed at domestic/single phase

2391 is a level 3 course and more intense including dealing with 3 phase

pass rate for 2391 is normally around 50-55% but can dip to 45% because of the low pass rate some places now will not let you taking 2391 without first taking and passing 2392

i take your point and heed to your experience on this

but i would have thought that thinking behind doing the 2392 first would be to gain some experience in the interim between the 2 therefore allowing you to better understand testing and have some practical experience

whereas this course would generally be a crash one therefore not really allowing the time to gain said experience or digest the info so which was more the point i was trying to get at. (although badly worded well it was late;))

having said that from what i have read from those that have done the 2391 that it is not the testing itself that trips them up into a fail but rather the wording and the whys and wherefores of why they are testing and when they should test rather than the testing itself. which led to me thinking of how much doing the 2392 would actually help along with others posts from

with the above points in mind (as ive seen this question asked a few times) would you recommend to those who have done the 2330 which bearing in mind involves a fair bit of testing to do both?

oh and Ian having seen many of your posts (which i always find valid and well put) doubt that you 'hate to disagree';)

I second that, I don't think you can learn to be an electrician in 4 weeks, however you can gain a basic understanding of the regs and what is required and then go on to learn on the job preferably with another more experienced electrician. After all you can become a police officer in 16weeks, a motorist in 1 week and so on, but it's after all that the learning really starts.

If your intent on doing this then if I were you I would Just do the domestic installers part which will give you a basic understanding of simple jobs, followed by the G&G 2392 17th which would be enough for you to do apply for your part P and do some basic domestic jobs.

As for the promise of work, don't believe them nobody can promise you a job these days, plus not much work about on the private side anyway and next year will be worse if you ask me. :eek:

As for the price this would and should half it, I know from training providers that I deal with regularly they are struggling to fill the courses so haggle haggle haggle. One week training comes out about £500 + exams in my book.

Good luck, and beware of the hype,

I did my 17th ed at Access Training Wales. The course was delivered well but there again all the guys on it were sparks whom had been in the game for years and had 16th ed anyway so passing was a bit of a no brainer.

The coffee machine works though.:)

hey folks,
new to the site, first post. I'm glad I found you all!

was thinking about going in to the electrician world as well. Was quite sold on the Access Training bit and was about to finalise my decision - for a yes. I was going to do the Domestic Installer one and then look at working with an electrician/contractor and gain some experience and then maybe head in on my own if I felt confident.

Been looking around, noticed OCLI had a base in cardiff too...but not read the greatest on them! Also looked at random places like Able Skills, the NICEIC itself...for the same courses (Domestic Installer) they're quoting more like £2k-£2.5k rather than the hefty £5.5k that Access are asking.

I would prefer to have a bit of knowledge of the whole thing before badgering a sparky for work so maybe college would be a better way to get my foot in the door. I've already studied at uni so this would be a cheaper option too!

Thanks for your wisdom, no doubt you'll see a lot more of me as time goes on.

oh, are there any women electricians on board?!

quite a few lady's on here yes. i would have a chat with your local college and see what they can offer rather than a private training provider. i am sure someone on here will be local to you and will point you in the right direction for local courses

stevelewis and everyone - I am also contemplating doing electrical training with Access Training, like you (or at least as you were last year) I don't have site experience. Would like to know how you got on, I'm not looking for a quick way to make money (understand that the electrical trade has probably been hit as hard as other areas and that loads of people made redundant are retraining, but at least I could do my own stuff + help friends, family, etc.

I can see that there are mixed feelings from some of the posts - would appreciate any up to date views from anyone out there!

Cheers, DAVE

been there, done it a few weeks ago, brilliant course, really helps you to understand the fundamentals. but dont expect to come out confident and still be prepared to do a lot of reading and checking for months after you've finished

I'm interested in Doing a Electrician Fast Track Course at Access Training, I Have No Electrical Experience, They Just Emailed me saying I Need to do, The Essential, professional, Premier and City And guilds 2365, if I Do all This, can I Literally phone up a Agency and Get Work, or This it Just a Scam, Been Reading So many Bad Reviews About Access Training, I Don't No What to Believe

yes, send private message if u want a chat about it
Hey Steve, I'm interested in Doing a Electrician Course At Access Training, I Have No Electrical Experience, does that mean I need to do The Essential,professional, Premier and City And guilds 2365 & 2357 to get Qualified, I what to Work for a Agency I have Worked with doing Demolition,

Hey Steve, I'm interested in Doing a Electrician Course At Access Training, I Have No Electrical Experience, does that mean I need to do The Essential,professional, Premier and City And guilds 2365 & 2357 to get Qualified, I what to Work for a Agency I have Worked with doing Demolition,
Jamie, Welcome to the forum, do note the date of posts as this one was last addressed in 2011.
To start from scratch and progress to completion of the 2365 and 2357 would be a route to become an electrician but this is not done lightly as this is a long term project over some years.

Reply to Access Training Wales in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net