Discuss Adding a circuit to a domestic fuse box in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Ian D

Hi all,

Could any one tell me can you add more than one circuit to an domestic supply board as I need a 13 amp feed to power the underfloor element I am installing in the bathroom it appears all the fuses are in use.

Any help very gratefully recieved.

Ian D

Ian you're obviously not an electrician as if you were you would know the answer.
Electrical work in special locations is notifiable under part p of the building regs.
Best advice is consult a qualified electrician. Post up your location we will probably have a member near you.
You're potentially opening a lethal can of worms here mate

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't add a new circuit unless you're qualified and registered.

You'll need someone in to do this for you I'm afraid...

edit: it appears I was beaten to it!

Not only is the location 'Special' as regards the regulations, but the type of installation you are wanting to undertake (underfloor heating) is too.

As others have said, leave well alone, and leave to a professional. Sorry

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, so many regulations these days so I will take your advise and call in an electrician, I live in Hd8 Huddersfield area.

Just for information only what can go wrong with one 13 amp cable from an distribution box or is the problem that there is no spare fuse to take this cable, excuse my lack of knowlage but if I had called in technically qualified people over the last 40 years of my life I would never had learned anything.

Your advise was and is very welcome.

Regards
Ian

You can't add a new circuit unless you're qualified and registered.

Unfortunately, that's not strictly true, is it...

Anyone can undertake electrical work, so long as they involve LABC. It is then down to the LABC to decide whether or not the work has been done correctly and to the regs, and to sign off the work as being acceptable.

The point that the DIY'er needs to understand is that they cannot undertake 'notifiable' work legally, without getting the LABC involved.

As you have been advised, unfortunately UFH is regarded as a 'special' installation and if it is in a kitchen or bathroom it is also a special location.

Normally depending on the size of the system you can take a spur of a Ring Final Circuit, but a lot will depend on the manufactures instructions regarding how they want it supplied, and you may find they ask for a dedicated circuit.

If a dedicated circuit is required or it is really to big to take of a RFC, and as you say your existing fuse box is full, then an electrician will fit a stand alone smaller fuse box just for this job, the same as they may do for an electric shower, or perhaps an outbuilding.

You could be running at maximum demand now Ian although this is unlikely if you were, adding extra load could cause major problems. It sounds from your question that you might need a new consumer unit, installing one is not a job for an enthusiastic amatuer despite what the likes of B&Q would tell you.
As you ask "what can go wrong with one 13 amp cable" well the answer is an awful lot really. Select the wrong cable for the job and you could be installing a fire hazard in your home. Install it incorrectly and you could be putting in a fatal shock for someone in the future. Start poking around inside a consumer unit without knowing safe isolation procedures and the work may be postponed until after a funeral.
I'm not trying to have a go at you here, I'm glad that you're taking our advice and getting a pro in. I think Glennspark is round your way ish, he's a good lad who knows his stuff. I shall PM him for you:)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, so many regulations these days so I will take your advise and call in an electrician, I live in Hd8 Huddersfield area.

Just for information only what can go wrong with one 13 amp cable from an distribution box or is the problem that there is no spare fuse to take this cable, excuse my lack of knowlage but if I had called in technically qualified people over the last 40 years of my life I would never had learned anything.

Your advise was and is very welcome.

Regards
Ian

You have no knowledge as to the existing current that is being drawn by the circuit that you are intending on 'doubling up', therefore you have no way of knowing if you new 13a circuit will overload it. Any new circuits installed would need to be tested accordingly, and I'm assuming you know nothing about testing, nor are in possession of the required 'expensive' test gear. Just get someone in, they will be able to do the job correctly and LEGALLY for cheaper than if you attempt it yourself going via the LABC route. The LABC will charge in the region of £150 -£300 if you want their involvement.

Reply to Adding a circuit to a domestic fuse box in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net