Discuss Adding aditional lighting to switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have no space for a bigger backbox, the com wires arnt the problem, the backbox has 6 x twin&earth going into it.

1. Bathroom Light
2. Hall Light
3. Loft Light
4. Loft Ariel Socket
5. Bathroom fan
6. Mains wire

You chose to add an extra one! Amazing what DIYers do at Xmas.

Maybe you should get somebody in to do it for you.

I think a pullcord in the loft may have been easier. Feed to switch. Live connected to c and l1 to lights. Neutral connected through to light fitting.

Yes, I would agree with you. The light is going to get left switched on in the loft as it's on a 3 gang plate with the loo and hall.

Good. Probably speak to you next Christmas when your adding some sockets :rolleyes4:
Yeah extra sockets in the loft for the train set, spurred off the radial that was already there (the one for the TV booster run off the lighting circuit).

"Hi everyone I have a problem with my fuse box tripping. Every time I turn on the heater it trips everything out."

I have already done the sockets, took one spur from each bedroom, so i now have 3 double sockets up their. All done correctly, that was the easiest part. The way my loft is framed i could fit a full size room in their without altering anything. I do a lot of music production and thats where all my equipment is going once i have plastered everything and put new flooring down.

Yeah extra sockets in the loft for the train set, spurred off the radial that was already there (the one for the TV booster run off the lighting circuit)
Now I see the advantage of whoever-it-was's suggestion of putting the booster on a round pin plug/socket instead of an FCU.

I have already done the sockets, took one spur from each bedroom, so i now have 3 double sockets up their. All done correctly, that was the easiest part. The way my loft is framed i could fit a full size room in their without altering anything. I do a lot of music production and thats where all my equipment is going once i have plastered everything and put new flooring down.

didnt you have to add extra supports if your using your loft as an extra room ?

Hope your first task is refit the grommet I have not had time to read all the posts because the wife is breathing down my neck but switch change should be easy after the grommet is refitted lol

Now I see the advantage of whoever-it-was's suggestion of putting the booster on a round pin plug/socket instead of an FCU.
A few disadvantages being:

• You'll need to chop the factory fitted plug off the booster which introduces the question of invalidating the warranty.
  • Someone can come along at a later date and spur off it and/or change it for a 13A socket.
  • Lighting circuits are for lighting - an electrician might not be expecting a TV booster to be on the same circuit hidden away in the loft when he IRs the lighting circuit.

Obviously it's not ideal to take anything other than lights of a lighting circuit... But the worse that will happen is the MCB would trip ?
... Taking out all the lights with it so you can't see to get out of the loft, fall down the stairs/ladder and break your neck.
If the booster comes fitted with a 3A fuse that is what the manufacturer has deemed appropriate protection - chop that off and wire it into a 6A lighting circuit and you've got about twice the potential fault current.

A few disadvantages being:

• Someone can come along at a later date and spur off it and/or change it for a 13A socket.
I would have thought this would be an advantage of putting it on a round pin plug - a subsequent electrician is likely to see a round-pin and think "light circuit", whereas a 13A spur or socket would suggest a ring/radial power circuit. I don't think many sparks would try to spur off an existing round-pin socket.

Reply to Adding aditional lighting to switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net