Discuss Adding to an existing ring main, but no spare ways in the C/Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys I am looking to add 4 additional sockets for a room that is being converted for a bed ridden person. The room at present has no sockets in it, would it be possible to add to the existing ring main in the consumer unit (this is in the room). The load would be very minimal couple of bedside lamps and a TV, I was thinking it would be ok to remove one leg of the ring from the existing ring. And in effect extend the ring via some wago connectors or through crimps, anyone have a better way of doing it without a complete board change.

It may be possible, one of the most important points before considering it would be, Is there an RCD protecting the existing sockets?
It is probably best to involve a local spark in the planning process so you don't end up in a situation where it is impossible to finish the job without ripping half of it back out again.

It may be possible, one of the most important points before considering it would be, Is there an RCD protecting the existing sockets?
It is probably best to involve a local spark in the planning process so you don't end up in a situation where it is impossible to finish the job without ripping half of it back out again.
Hi James yes it does have RCD protection, I was an electrician but retired a while back, just not up to date with the most currents practices. I will also make sure it is tested afterwards,

I would prefer to extend the RFC, that way your end-end test at the CU is verifying more of the circuit is OK, especially the CPC that is not obvious if failed during normal use, and no real max load issues (or unsuspecting tennant not realising the is a blown 13A fuse somewhere not in a plug).

A check on the end-end first would be wise, if the r1 & nN are below about 0.6 ohm you should have enough VD margin for another small room.

Hi
I would prefer to extend the RFC, that way your end-end test at the CU is verifying more of the circuit is OK, especially the CPC that is not obvious if failed during normal use, and no real max load issues (or unsuspecting tennant not realising the is a blown 13A fuse somewhere not in a plug).

A check on the end-end first would be wise, if the r1 & nN are below about 0.6 ohm you should have enough VD margin for another small room.
Thought I would update, did the RFC circuit as per your suggestion. Did the r1 & rN test readings at 0.31 ohm thanks again for the sound advice.

Reply to Adding to an existing ring main, but no spare ways in the C/Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net