Discuss Advice for timer for 3.4kw storage heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Ian Syn

Hello folks.

Just looking for a little help please. Recently I fitted a fst77 timeguard for a single 2.5kw simplex model NLSH18MN. This works well and allows me to just turn it on the charge for the last couple of hours of the e7 window. Now I'd like to fit one for our larger NLSH24MN model but this is rating 3.4kw so I believe would be too much for the 13amp fst77 timer. Can anyone recommend something that would be suitable? I was thinking a 16amp rated immersion type timer would be ok. Obviously needs a battery backup to keep time during non e7 window.

Your E7 supply should already be set up to charge the storage heaters during the E7 period, individual timers shouldn't be necessary.

The backup battery in these timeswitches is designed to allow it to survive through occasional powercuts, it won't last very long being expected to be the main source of power to the timeswitch during every day.

Your E7 supply should already be set up to charge the storage heaters during the E7 period, individual timers shouldn't be necessary.

The backup battery in these timeswitches is designed to allow it to survive through occasional powercuts, it won't last very long being expected to be the main source of power to the timeswitch during every day.
Thanks Dave, appreciate the response. You're right, the e7 circuit is working as expected. The reason I've fitted one in our bedroom is the heater kicks in very early hours, heats up the bedroom too much and wakes us up. It now comes on at 5am to 7am (which seems to store enough heat energy) instead which is much better and the heat lasts throughout the day (it's also used as an office). Appreciate your point about the battery backup perhaps not being suited to that scenario. If it fails I'll tackle it then. So would there be a timer suitable device I could do the same thing with for a 3.4kw heater? Or you just simply wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, appreciate the response. You're right, the e7 circuit is working as expected. The reason I've fitted one in our bedroom is the heater kicks in very early hours, heats up the bedroom too much and wakes us up. It now comes on at 5am to 7am (which seems to store enough heat energy) instead which is much better and the heat lasts throughout the day (it's also used as an office). Appreciate your point about the battery backup perhaps not being suited to that scenario. If it fails I'll tackle it then. So would there be a timer suitable device I could do the same thing with for a 3.4kw heater? Or you just simply wouldn't recommend it.
You could add a timer and contactor.

Reply to Advice for timer for 3.4kw storage heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net