Discuss advice needed about fitting a new lamp in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm posting here because I would like professional advice about an extra lamp that I'm thinking of getting fitted in my bungalow. I know what I want, but I'm not sure whether the job is feasible or advisable, so I would like your advice.

What I am thinking of is getting an extra wall lamp fitted above my desktop computer, to light the space there. I would like a lamp wired to the mains, with a switch on it so that I can turn it on and off independently of the others. However, I am not sure whether it will be possible or advisable to have such a lamp fitted, for the following reasons:

1. The wall at this place is an external wall made of blocks, with only a very thin layer of old plaster covering these blocks (I have removed all the wallpaper because I will be redecorating), so putting a cable in would involve drilling a groove into the blocks that the cable can go in. Would a professional electrician be able to fit a new cable this way so that it can be later plastered and decorated over without anything showing? (There is a mains plug nearby, in which all my computer equipment is plugged.)

2. Are there any wall lamps that can be wired to the mains and that have a switch on them, so that you turn them on and off independently of anything else? Is such an item available?

3. I have heard that having an over-abundance of electrical cables and fittings next to computer equipment can interfere with this equipment's proper functioning. Is anyone aware that having an extra lamp next to the computer equipment could cause such a problem?

So, what is your advice? Is it sensible to go ahead and get this job done, or not?

easiest solution is a plug in lamp like an anglepoise, with an inline switch in it's flex. otherwise anything is possible with an electrician making a site visit to ascertain what exactly you need.

easiest solution is a plug in lamp like an anglepoise, with an inline switch in it's flex. otherwise anything is possible with an electrician making a site visit to ascertain what exactly you need.
Oh yes, I hadn't thought of that! That looks indeed easier, it means I may be able to just put the lamp on top of the cabinet above the computer without the need for any drilling in the wall! plus if the lamp is adjustable, even better!
Can this type of lamp be plugged into a multiple outlet surge-protector with all the computer equipment, or is there a capacity limit to watch out for?

Oh yes, I hadn't thought of that! That looks indeed easier, it means I may be able to just put the lamp on top of the cabinet above the computer without the need for any drilling in the wall! plus if the lamp is adjustable, even better!
Can this type of lamp be plugged into a multiple outlet surge-protector with all the computer equipment, or is there a capacity limit to watch out for?

Shouldn't be a problem, especially if you use an LED bulb, which I would recommend.

Reply to advice needed about fitting a new lamp in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net