Discuss Advice Needed - CNC Machine Tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Probably isn't, but the public seeing posts from the trade implying a rip off would be a likely outcome is hardly diplomatic.
I'd like to see that comment removed.
Bit difficult if you've quoted it. But as you know there are chancers in all trades, do you need your gutters cleaned?

I also don't see why he'd get ripped off if he called someone with machine experience. He's more likely to cause damage by messing around with this himself...not to mention possibly breaking the law.

Given that the motor is rated at 300Hz it must be supplied by an inverter/drive and where you've got a drive you've got filters and filters dump to earth.

The machine may not be suitable for a 30mA RCD, it may require an RCD with a higher I∆N rating or maybe supply via an isolating transformer. The fact it trips in one location and not another means nothing without testing. It could be cumulative leakage causing a trip in one place or even an RCD not working meaning it doesn't trip in the other location.

Test the machine and the circuit first. Run an on-load leakage test to see the functional leakage from the filters in the VFD.

I would suggest the 3phase motor is powered by a 1ph to 3ph VSD, the drive output been 300hz to generate the high speed tabulated on the motor. The motor seems to be designed for this going by the plate, as for the tripping, well the drive will probably be sending designed earth leakage in excess of the RCCB rating or taking it passed its limit if existing earth leakage exists from other circuits, was the other installation it was plugged into RCD covered?

I will ask for him to check but looking at the photo of the criminal install i highly doubt it.

Well the CNC machine is working, a friend of someone who is a sparks removed the RCCB and added a MCB from what I was told, you try to help someone and they f*****g ignore you, where is the emoji for banging your head against the wall?

Would this be in breach of Building Regs or anything else as I really need to give CNC owner a rollicking?

Not the greatest idea in the world as the rcd would have been providing additional protection and may have been required for fault protection. I dread to think the lash up he has made inside the board no self respecting electrician would have done this.

Not the greatest idea in the world as the rcd would have been providing additional protection and may have been required for fault protection. I dread to think the lash up he has made inside the board no self respecting electrician would have done this.
I know its shocking no pun intended.......

Reply to Advice Needed - CNC Machine Tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net